Do you have to be Baptized to go to Heaven?

rjcruiser

Well, in another thread, this got brought up. See quote below.

Not sure about what you just posted. I study Scripture quite a bit and I cannot see where your statement holds water. There are numerous verses in the bible which support regenerative baptism. There are also verses in Scripture that support works, as well. I am not at home right now but I have notes and will post chapter and verse to support this.
DW

I do believe that baptism is a command from God. I believe that it is for people that have turned from Sin to God (ie true believers...not for babies or infants). However, there is no scripture that points to the fact that you must be baptized to be saved.

For those of you who believe this, I bring up the thief on the cross next to Christ. He didn't turn from his sin until moments before his death. He wasn't baptized, yet Christ says to him that they will see eachother in paradise (Heaven).

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I do believe that baptism is a command from God. However, there is no scripture that points to the fact that you must be baptized to be saved.

For those of you who believe this, I bring up the thief on the cross next to Christ. He didn't turn from his sin until moments before his death. He wasn't baptized, yet Christ says to him that they will see eachother in paradise (Heaven).

How can you believe its a command if you dont think you have to do it? Read Acts 2, matter of fact, read all of Acts.

You have to be baptized. Baptism alone does not save, but its a very important part of the plan of salvation.

And the thief on the cross, what about him? That happened before the new covenant

farmasis

Well, in another thread, this got brought up. See quote below.

I do believe that baptism is a command from God. I believe that it is for people that have turned from Sin to God (ie true believers...not for babies or infants). However, there is no scripture that points to the fact that you must be baptized to be saved.

Couldn't agree more, and a great example.

Another example from my daily reading is in Acts 10. When grace was extended to the gentiles first, at Cornelius's house. When they heard the message and recieved the Holy Spirit, then Peter said could anyone say that they should not be baptized, because they have recieved the Holy Spirit as they (the Jews) have.

shawn mills

Another example from my daily reading is in Acts 10. When grace was extended to the gentiles first, at Cornelius's house. When they heard the message and recieved the Holy Spirit, then Peter said could anyone say that they should not be baptized, because they have recieved the Holy Spirit as they (the Jews) have.

My thoughts also.

farmasis

How can you believe its a command if you dont think you have to do it? Read Acts 2, matter of fact, read all of Acts.

You have to be baptized. Baptism alone does not save, but its a very important part of the plan of salvation.

And the thief on the cross, what about him? That happened before the new covenant

Of course we should. We should also witness. That is a command, but if we do not we will still go to heaven. No works necessary for entrance.

rjcruiser

You contradict your self...baptism alone doesn't save, but you have to be baptized?

So, based on your first comment, and it being a command. If you are in sin when you die, in other words, you have un-repentent sin in your life when you die as a Christian, are you not going to heaven?

Which brings another thread in and of itself....do you believe you can lose your salvation?

rjcruiser

Hey Farmasis...we agree on something :banana::banana:
:biggrin2:

farmasis

Hey Farmasis...we agree on something :banana::banana:
:biggrin2:

See we got a lot for in common than not, as most Christians do, so i try to not get wrapped up in the things we do not.

Just FYI, yes, sadly some here believe you can walk away from your salvation.

rjcruiser

Just FYI, yes, sadly some here believe you can walk away from your salvation.

How depressing...not knowing if you are truly saved or that you might lose your salvation. There is such comfort in knowing that once Truly saved, you are always saved.

Tim L

Acts 2:38...when the gentiles heard Peter preach and asked what they had to do to be saved, he told them reprent AND be baptized..pretty plain...he didn't tell them to be baptized as a profession of faith to tell them world they had alreadty become christians (or joined the church), repent and be baptized was his answer to what they should do to be saved in the first place......

Yea, I'm a rare bird, a Methodist that not only believes in imersion but that you have to be baptized before your saved.....

Tim L

Thats the number one come back....Jesus was still alive on the cross; just my opinion, but he could tell the thief whatever he wanted, he is God...at least to me, that (while Jesus was on the cross and before he arose) was a time between the law (old Jewish law) and the New Testament.....But theres no doulbt that in the early church (at least according to the New Testament) baptism by water was part of becoming a christian, not a sign to the world that one had become a christian....

SBG

Thats the number one come back....Jesus was still alive on the cross; just my opinion, but he could tell the thief whatever he wanted, he is God....

Wouldn't that make God a respecter of persons?

fishnguy

What about John the Baptist, who told Christ that he should be the one getting baptized by Him, and then he was killed. We never read about John getting dunked. Did he go to Heaven?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

You contradict your self...baptism alone doesn't save, but you have to be baptized?
I dont see how you can come to that conclusion.............

Very simple, baptism alone does not save, but its "part" of the plan of salvation.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Of course we should. We should also witness. That is a command, but if we do not we will still go to heaven. No works necessary for entrance.

I heard about 5 minutes of a sermon this morning on the radio before I changed the station, the ole boy said "everybody" is going to heaven. But anyways, baptism has nothing to do with works.

jkdodge

How depressing...not knowing if you are truly saved or that you might lose your salvation. There is such comfort in knowing that once Truly saved, you are always saved.

Lose your salvation? I have never read anything about an erasor with the lambs book of life. I have how ever read that you will be held accountiable for your sins. And I for one dont really want to haft to explain to god why I was so stupid.