***Craigslist Boat Scam***

5HwnBoys

Boys I got sent two checks for the same deal

I had a Honda generator fer sale and the offered ma one heck of a deal with their guy commin to it up after I cashed the check then send them the EXTRA CASH they sent for s/h. $800 extra:crazy:.
So I obliged them by sending the checks back to the companies they were from and informing them of the transaction. Can ya believe the moron who sent the check was stupid enough to keep contacting me asking if I had sent the payment for S/H to him. I told him the Companies IA and their friends would be more then happy to speak to him and arrange S/H for him:biggrin2:

Be extra careful of these MORONS

Cypress94

I had the same thing happen with a 4-wheeler. Posted and got an email from someone wanting to send me a check to ship the f4-wheeler overseas and I could keep the rest. I didn't fall for it, but, they will send you a check but, because of the international check cashing laws, you don't find out that the check has bounced until you've shipped the product.

So, keep an eye out for that one too.

That's ironic, I had almost the same thing happen to me for an item I put up for sale on craigslist, but the guy said he'd send me a little more money than I was asking for to take the ad down and to hold it and he was from Alaska! Said he'd have a moving company come and pick it up, but was insistent that I take a check. I told him no, money order, cash, or paypal, and never heard back from him.

Eddie Munster

I've sold numerous items on Ebay over the years and in the past couple years I've included the statement 'If you have zero or negative feedback, don't bother bidding as your bid will be deleted.' Zero feedback is a good indicator of a possible scammer and I'm not willing to chance it.

Also I will only accept certified checks (and Paypal) but the item doesn't ship til the check clears.

bilgerat

Senior
I've sold numerous items on Ebay over the years and in the past couple years I've included the statement 'If you have zero or negative feedback, don't bother bidding as your bid will be deleted.' Zero feedback is a good indicator of a possible scammer and I'm not willing to chance it.

Also I will only accept certified checks (and Paypal) but the item doesn't ship til the check clears.

Dont take a check of any kind!!!!!
a used boat dealer here on Lanier took a 10,000 certified check for a boat, it cleared the bank and he Met the guy and delivired the boat to a slip in the marina , a week later the bank called and told him the check was not real and it was rejected by the issuing bank out of Canada, he went to the marina and the boat was gone along with the 10k!!

<i>She said she got the boat in a divorce ...</i><P>That should tell you it's a sham.

Eddie Munster

<i>She said she got the boat in a divorce ...</i><P>That should tell you it's a sham.

Not really. Depends on the woman and what the reason for divorce is. He11 hath no fury and all.........

I've dated several that if we ended up married and got a divorce, they'd take my golf clubs, fishing stuff, boat just out of spite. Their mental stability is usually the reason they didn't make the cut.

GusGus

My brother posted a WTB ad on craigslist and got an email stating that the person was very interested in buying "the item" he had for sale on craigslist and wanted him to ship it to so and so's brother in the UK, the feller said he needed his address to send him the check.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Guys,

I have been checking the section in boats for sale on Craigslist regularly and I believe there is a scam on there. There is somone selling a Ranger Comanche 2006 bass boat with a 225 mercury for $5600.00!! I e-mailed the person when the boat was posted and it took her a while to e-mail me back. She said she got the boat in a divorce and is trying to sell it because she does not need it. She wants to hand the deal through this shipping company and she will not contact you personally. I have e-mailed a couple of more times. I have not heard back. I checked Craigslist again today and the boat was put back up but taken off after only a few minutes. ITs a great looking boat but I guess its too good to be true. If you see this, be carefull. If it turns out to be true, somone will get the deal of a lifetime. My buddy works for a bank and he hears of scams like this all the time. Watch yourself:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

Flag her thead, they'll delete it.

Outside of that, now a days Craigslist is pretty much a scam in and of iteself, unlike a couple of years ago.

urdaddyjeep

yeah the same thing happened just about 3 weeks ago... The chick was in CA and told me the reason why the boat was so cheap was that her husband died in Iraq 3 months ago and was selling everything and moving in with her sister. It was a 2005 Stratos with a 225.. I got it off of CL and she told me that she had it listed on eBay and if I really wanted it then she would take it down from both sites, told her to take it down.. she wanted a money gram.. after I thought I talked to someone from eBay ... well I called eBay the day I was going to send out the money and they told me to e-mail them everything I had.. I did and with in 3hrs they got back with me and told me it was all a scam... if I could somehow post one of the emails I got on here I would.. I couldnt tell it was fake.. thought it came from eBay...