Help! Bears are eating all the corn

Newtopia

My parents are building a cabin in north georgia and we have been putting out corn to attract wild life. We hade been averaging @ 50lbs of corn a week so I put a trail cam on the feeder to see what was going on. Turns out I got alot more pics of bears than deer. Is there a food that deer like and bears don't? Maybe alfalfa cubes or some other domestic animal feed? Thanks for the input.

Bear 001.jpg

Last edited:

sodbusterman

You better stop feeding completly or you they will have a big bear problem for a long time. If they get use to the food and you stop they will try to get in the house if they smell something.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
My parents are building a cabin in north georgia and we have been putting out corn to attract wild life. We hade been averaging @ 50lbs of corn a week so I put a trail cam on the feeder to see what was going on. Turns out I got alot more pics of bears than deer. Is there a food that deer like and bears don't? Maybe alfalfa cubes or some other domestic animal feed? Thanks for the input.

Your gonna think this is harsh, but sometimes it is what it is...................................What else do you expect in "bear" country....................And all the folks that move up here wonder why the bears are tearing down the screen doors to get into the dog food and corn cans................... Best thing to do is to quit feeding the animals......................When you call DNR to request something be done with the "nuisance" bear they will pretty much tell you the same thing. Then trapping the bear and moving it does no good they just return or go to another yard for a free hand out.............Then the next thing you know that bear will have to be killed................There are a ton of acorns in the woods for the deer and bear to eat on..........Once a bear learns to get a free handout they are too lazy to go back to nature for the real thing and hence the problems start..............

Steven Farr

Your gonna think this is harsh, but sometimes it is what it is...................................What else do you expect in "bear" country....................And all the folks that move up here wonder why the bears are tearing down the screen doors to get into the dog food and corn cans................... Best thing to do is to quit feeding the animals......................When you call DNR to request something be done with the "nuisance" bear they will pretty much tell you the same thing. Then trapping the bear and moving it does no good they just return or go to another yard for a free hand out.............Then the next thing you know that bear will have to be killed................There are a ton of acorns in the woods for the deer and bear to eat on..........Once a bear learns to get a free handout they are too lazy to go back to nature for the real thing and hence the problems start..............

Yep. That pretty much says it all. Don't create the problem and there won't be a problem.

Newtopia

Thanks for the input. I kinda figured I would have to stop putting out the corn. I have planted some food plots and they seem to be coming in good. I will buy a bag of fertilizer instead of a bag of corn this week.

rjcruiser

I'll come help out with my Bow if they'd like :)

ejs1980

I know some guys in FL that can't hunt over corn even though it's legal because the bears run off all the deer. I don't think there's much a bear won't eat including most forage planted in food plots and acorns.

JWilson

PM me and i will help get rid of them. they will never here anything.But they are right they will always have problems with the bears. If you stop putting out corn sometimes they will break your feeder of even eat your camera.

Zeus

I too will also come take care of the bear problem. Just give me the word and I'll be there. Of course after you have removed all of the bait!

Newtopia

Thanks for the offers to take care of the bears. Haven't had any corn out for a week and no more bear pics so maybe they headed on down the valley.

I was also disappointed that the bears couldn't read the Deer Feed Sign. Crazy Bears :crazy: