War Between the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBM

I don't know much about Fla's Civil War engagements. Think the biggest battle was either Oulustee(sp) or natural bridge?

Olustee was the big battle in FL. Most of the others were minor engagements. Jacksonville was held by the Federals for most of the war after a FL artillery unit was overrun by large Federal units. South FL was also held by the Federals for most of the war coming up from Key West. They established Ft. Myers late in the war. A Federal fort put there with a garrison to burn and pillage local ranches that supplied the Army of Tennessee with beef cattle. Efforts to remove the Federals and its sympathizers from the fort late in the war was thwarted and not what I would call an organized and concerted effort. Olustee was about keeping open that supply line of beef cattle from the Ft. Myers area. The Federals sent a large force from Jacksonville with the intent to cut the rail line and march on Tallahassee. Their efforts failed as Beauregard and Milton sent in more than enough troops and artillery to deal with the Jacksonville Federals. After defeating the Federals, not many prisoners were taken. There was bayoneting of wounded Federals in the field including black troops. Bad blood was the reason and the Fort Pillow Tennessee incident where Forrest's Southern POWs were executed by the Federal officers and black troops of the fort. Some of the infantry claimed to have some kin that were executed at Fort Pillow. Olustee after action reports of officers that tried to stop but could not control the infantry troops. It was a black eye on an otherwise clear cut strategic victory.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Where was Forrest when he told his men to fight the dyanks on "both fronts"

Paraphrased slightly

RBM

interesting.

That's the word for it.

My word about Fort Pillow. Nobody knows for sure what happened at Fort Pillow Tennessee regardless of the so called testimonies. There are Confederate accounts and Federal accounts. I do know this. The 13th or 14th US Federal Cavalry of the fort was already notoriously known for war crimes against West Tennessee citizens. Second, when the fort was taken by Forrest's troops the flag did not come down in surrender nor did the fort surrender. Third, fleeing Federal troops were shooting back on the run and had not surrendered their arms. Fourth, I believe that Forrest had lost control of his troops and was not there to gain control until later. The engagement has been portrayed as a massacre in the North but the evidence does not support a massacre and the war crime Federals of the fort a seething anger of bad blood in the South. Both sides calling for war crimes trials. Lastly I know that one atrocity gives rise to other atrocities on both sides no matter who started it.

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

RBM

Yeah. Like I said wrong crossroads. Parker Crossroads, not Brice Crossroads. Brice was the one that was called his greatest victory.

westcobbdog

If Gen Forrest had been allowed to assist in the Atlanta Campaign things may have turned out differently. If he were in charge at Missionary Ridge the yanks would not have had a dress parade below the Rebs without dodging lead, not admired from afar as was Bragg's approach. Bragg lost half his cannon right there.

RBM

If Gen Forrest had been allowed to assist in the Atlanta Campaign things may have turned out differently. If he were in charge at Missionary Ridge the yanks would not have had a dress parade below the Rebs without dodging lead, not admired from afar as was Bragg's approach. Bragg lost half his cannon right there.

I agree. Folks may not have liked his methods but he got the job done.

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Looks kinda like Joseph Wheeler to me

RBM

Well nobody is posting questions. I think its westcobbdog's turn.

Who is this fellow?

alfred_colquitt02.jpg

alfred_colquitt01.jpg

Not to be confused with this fellow.

finegan02.jpg

Hint: They were at Olustee. No looking at the photo info names. Google if you must. Bonus for this fellow who was also there.

TSeymour.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.