War Between the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resica

Olustee would later give way to Cold Harbor trenches or earthworks. Grant had big trouble in the Overland or Wilderness Campaign where he lost around 55,000 and on the other side 33,600. While Grant could replace the losses and Lee could not, Grant's problem was those used for replacements. Green unseasoned troops and artillery troops scraped from Washington D.C.'s defenses hardly constitute real seasoned regular infantry. Lee had Hoke's men and others brought up from State defenses that were seasoned regular troops in strong defensive positions. So Grant's troops got slaughtered at Cold Harbor. He outnumbered Lee by almost twice as many but lost 12,737 to Lee's 5,287.
Frontal assaults seem to do that to the attacker.

RBM

Frontal assaults seem to do that to the attacker.

I agree.:) Grant did what he always did against Lee first. He hit Lee's flank that failed of course. Lee should have been used to it by then and knew what Grant was going to do. Then Grant made the frontal assault. Even Grant said afterward that last frontal assault should never have been made.

westcobbdog

This CSA General Officer was clipped by a minnie behind the knee and bled to death after sending his surgeon off to assist wounded yanks.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Cobb,
Sorry I dont know that answer.

For any who are interested go to

https://www.youtube.com/

Search for Julius Howell. He was a Confederate soldier who lived well into the 1900s and was recorded giving his memories of the activities of his service. There are several videos of him and some other related videos at that search page.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Well now that I have been spoon fed the answer it must be General Albert Sydney Johnson. ;)

westcobbdog

This fella was surprised by Pope and lost his hat. Later he captured part of John Pope's train's with his hat and dress coat included. He proposed a trade.

Resica

He commanded the 2nd Division, 2nd Corps at Gettysburg, briefly commanding the Corps on July1 and 2 when Winfield Scott Hancock was elevated to command larger units.

Status
Not open for further replies.