door will not open

scat30

today I tried to open my rear door on my truck and it will not open. it is a 2001 f150 ext cab, was fine until today. handles move and I hear movement inside door. any ideas how it works before I take it apart

GoldDot40

Probably just the rod popped off the inside part of the handle. Remove the door panel and you'll see it. Shouldn't be hard to figure out. Was the door slammed harder than usual by chance?

fishman1957

Probably clip holding cable dry rotted happened on both my back door's I just got some clips to hold cable in place they work fine now !!!!!

B. White

There are upper and lower cables that go to your latch. Both upper and lower latches have to be engaged, or your door will not open. One of mine failed last year before hunting season and the other door followed during the first part of November. Yours is also a 2001, so you have hit the life limit of the cable ends.

Order these cable ends https://www.amazon.com/FGT-Motorsport-Expedition-Excursion-Navigator/dp/B00WOY33EA . Remove door liners and speaker. Find cable that is not connected and pull from the inside to open the door. Replace the cable ends. Reassemble. I would go ahead and do both doors and get it out of the way.

There are good youtube videos to watch a couple of times to know what to expect when you get in there and make taking the liners off easier, it will be pretty evident what isn't connected when you get in there.

Attachments

• IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 243

7 point

My 04 did the same thing let me know how you g ix it I haven't done anything to mine yet

ribber

It's what Whiteboy in post #4 said. I've done it to both my '03 extended cab doors. The cable ends are plastic and will separate. I bought the aluminum replacement ends and they're $15-20 I think. It's a pretty simple job and several Youtube videos on it. Common issue on the older Fords.
You can also use zip ties, but they will eventually fail.

7 point

Guess that's what I'm gonna have to do