Etowah below Cartersville

Josey

Is there a section not too far below Cartersville that would be a 1-2 hour float, with public access points at the beginning and end? Not interested in fishing - just scenery to show a friend.

I'm thinking maybe Euharlee to Hardin. Does that sound about right for that float time?

Last edited:

jcarleto

That section is about 3.5 miles and is the shortest section with public ramps at each end. You can easily make the trip in under 2 hours if you paddle just a little. If fishing, I typically plan 1 hour per mile.

Josey

Are there fees at either of those ramps for people who do don't live in Bartow?

Josey

I did the trip yesterday. Nice stretch for a quick trip. At 3,000 cfs, it went rather quickly. 1.5 hours with a stop on the island. I wasn't fishing or paddling with purpose - just a stroke now & then.

Looking forward to exploring that island more in the winter, when much more can be seen. I would imagine there are some artifacts to be found on and around that island. I found the campsite on it, but the brush was too thick to do any other exploring. Neat old bridge pilings at the Hardin ramp.

Fair warning for anyone who hasn't tried the Euharlee or Hardin ramps yet: Prepare to get muddy. There is no way around that, at least with all the rain and heavy Etowah releases lately. And be careful around the water, because if you aren't expecting it, you will slip and bust your butt. What looks like solid ground...isn't. It's 8" of very soft mud.

jcarleto

Remember that the island on the Etowah is private land. The campsites are seasonally leased. Some of those who pay for the leases are more accommodating to explorers than others.

It wasn't that many years ago (less than 10) that we were driving across the one lane bridge that was supported by those pilings at Hardin Bridge. I miss it, and many of the other one lane bridges that have been replaced in West Bartow county. Perhaps I am just old-fashioned...or just old.

There are a LOT of places in the lower Etowah where the water depth and mud depth are two completely different numbers. This is true no matter what the flow is at the moment. It is a good thing to remember when you get out of your boat.

Last edited: