Old Coleman Lanterns

pnome

Here's a pic of my old red one that I restored...

2011-03-05_21-12-14_331.jpg

Swamprat

Swamprat
pnome....great job. Can't remember but did the greens one all just have glass that was a tube shape instead of what you have there.

It seems like in later years the mantles became of lesser quality. My dad always like to brag about how he had the same mantles on for a few years which for getting used about 25-30 weekends in a year was pretty darn good.

First rule he told me and my brother...."Do not touch the mantle, do not breath on the mantle, do not bump the lantern while the mantle is lit, do not even look at the mantle when it is not lit." Back then you were not running right down the road out in the boonies to pick up a new one. The mantles were the lifeblood of camp and destroying one was a serious issue.

Dr. Strangelove

Coleman changed the way they made mantles in the early 1990's to remove the radioactive element thorium. It's widely agreed that the newer mantles aren't as durable, despite claims to the contrary by Coleman.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Coleman changed the way they made mantles in the early 1990's to remove the radioactive element thorium. It's widely agreed that the newer mantles aren't as durable, despite claims to the contrary by Coleman.

Well they can claim different but yep it was in the 90's when I noticed the least little thing could destroy them.

Funniest thing I ever saw with a Coleman Lantern was back in the late eighties bowhunting at Three Lakes in Florida. A guy a few camps over lit his lantern and it flared up on him and he decided to pick it up and wing it in the woods cause he thought it was gonna explode.

I am yelling "Nooooooo!!!!!" as we watch the fireball hit the palmettos. After about 25 scorched acres and the Division of Forestry bringing in one of thier swamp plows he kinda packed up and left quick like

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Well they can claim different but yep it was in the 90's when I noticed the least little thing could destroy them.

Funniest thing I ever saw with a Coleman Lantern was back in the late eighties bowhunting at Three Lakes in Florida. A guy a few camps over lit his lantern and it flared up on him and he decided to pick it up and wing it in the woods cause he thought it was gonna explode.

I am yelling "Nooooooo!!!!!" as we watch the fireball hit the palmettos. After about 25 scorched acres and the Division of Forestry bringing in one of thier swamp plows he kinda packed up and left quick like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I`ve "dusted" more mantles than I will ever admit too. You fellers done inspired me. I dug out my old Model 275 yesterday, cleaned it up inside and out, and got it up and burnin`. It`s the only Coleman lantern I can remember that is painted brown. I bought that thing back in the mid 70s.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Nic....never seen a brown Coleman, just red, green and gray. Post up a pic.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic....never seen a brown Coleman, just red, green and gray. Post up a pic.

It`s the only one I have ever seen too, Scott. I`ll take a pic tomorrow and put it on this thread. I bought that thing at the hardware store in Palatka Florida, on HWY 20. I think it was an Ace Hardware?

trckdrvr

I will confess to having a semi-sorta-addiction to almost all of the coleman products..but mostly the lanterns,i have more than 1 man could ever use,need or even want ...and yet...if i see 1 for sale at a yard sale/flea market i just have to stop and look at it..even pump it up and turn the knob just to check the regulator and the pump..just to hear the hiss of the gas.

Amazing how cheaply some people sell them..bought 1 from the 70's with abox from a local hardware store and the receipt in the box..i held it up and asked the lady "How much for the lantern?(my wife just rolled her eyes)..the lady says..."How about$4 dollars?

I paid her and walked to the truck with my find of the day..brought it home and put it on the shelf in the garage next to the others...

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Scott, here is the lantern I was talkin` about.

Attachments

• lantern.jpg
    lantern.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,540

LKennamer

brown lanterns

I seem to recall that I have a backpack size lantern that is brown, I will have to dig it out to check now! I rarely use it because haven't been backpack camping in a while.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Hay Nic,

Did that one come with a clam shell hard case?

Pnome, to be honest, I don`t remember if it did or not. I don`t think so, because for several years I kept it stored in the cardboard box that it came in.

That red one of yours looks really good.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
First rule he told me and my brother...."Do not touch the mantle, do not breath on the mantle, do not bump the lantern while the mantle is lit, do not even look at the mantle when it is not lit." Back then you were not running right down the road out in the boonies to pick up a new one. The mantles were the lifeblood of camp and destroying one was a serious issue.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::cool:

Me too!

The new mantles today don't last for squat. I can't get the mantles for my dual fuels to make it a whole deer season.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I got some mantles a while back that had wire, instead of string, to tie them to the gas ports. I don`t like them either.

Wild Turkey

Nic I have a brown 275 just like that one. Broke the glass and have never found a replacement. Got it in the 70's as a christmas present.

And no i didnt want much for the wwii lantern from coleman but I thought a $20.00 coupon for trade was a slap in the face.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
Most of my old pump lanterns have been stolen over the years. I guess that I should have taken better care. I did purchase a 63 model at a yard sale several years ago. Cost $1.00 with 2 packs of mantels. Turn those old lanterns over and the year will be embossed on the bottom. As a youngster, I think the mantels were made of silk and were pretty fragile.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Hey Nic...cool pic. Never saw a brown one. kinda goes with the avocado green appliances and shag carpeting back in the day..

jason4445

Back in the 60's when I was a kid we camped all the time. Had a Cox pop up camper and outside uncountable weekend trips spent three weeks going to Key West and all though Florida, and two other three week trips up the east coast to bath, Maine including a stop at the 1964 World's Fair in New York City.

Had two Coleman lanterns and a stove we used the entire time. I still can remember laying in the camper going to sleep listening to those lanterns hissing as my parents stayed up talking. Don't know how many nights I went to sleep with that hissing sending me off into the arms of Morpheus.

I can remember if you turned the valve on a bit to early or the match went out and to much gas was expelled before you could light the lantern it would make a big pop sound and look like the space shuttle blasting off - same thing with the stove. OF course that sent Dad into fits of snorting and cussing. Once my mother was lighting the stove and a big flame blasted up burning her hair do a little bit so after that Dad or I had to lite it. For the second burner you turned it on with a key looking thing that stuck out on the other end.

In the late 80's when my kids and I started camping I got all that out and in testing the lanterns the seals around the tank cap and other places were so dry that as you pumped them gas came hissing out so I tossed them and went to new propane lanterns and stove. Also I did not miss all that pumping and adjusting - just a little turn of the knob and hit the self lighting button and you were done.

Redbow

I used to run Amoco white gas in my Coleman lantern also. I bought a shade for mine that bolts onto the lantern and used it for Flounder gigging. The salt water finally ate it up so bad it was useless, but it did give off a wonderful light for fishing and camping. Yeah I always liked the hiss the old lantern made while using it.