Putting up a Double Ladder Stand :: Solo

CharrDad

I've never put up a double ladder before. How hard is it to do by yourself? I'm planning on assembling all but the legs at home tonight, and just focus on getting it up the tree once I'm in the woods. I'm sure I'm not the first to have to do this alone, but I'd heard you wanted two (even three) sets of hands to put these things up.

Any tips or tricks to help keep me from breaking my back would be appreciated. Thanks.

the buck hunter 1

i've done it its a pain but it can be done jusdt make sure to take your time and dont get in any hurry and make sure to secure the bottom first

fishbone2149

I wouldn't do it. First, it's dangerous and second it's dangerous. I always take someone with me when I set up any kind of stand.

gadeerwoman

Be very very careful if you attempt to put any heavy stand up by yourself ! I've put up 2 20' ladder stands by myself before and can tell you two things: yes, it can be done and no, I'd never do it again if I could help it. I managed it by throwing a rope over a limb, tying one end to the top of the stand and then attaching the other end to the atv or the truck and using that to pull it up. But getting it tied off and set correctly took a long time. Put up another top heavy stand by setting it in the truck bed, backing up close to the tree, and then pushing it up from the truck bed. None were easy to do. Most stands are very top heavy especially 2 man stands and can slip out with you easily. I'd make sure to use ropes and pulleys or wait until I could get help to put them up if I were you. Not worth the risk of being hurt.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
IF I had to do it, which I have:D I have always used a ratchet strap long enough to go around the bottom of the tree and attach to both side of the very bottom of the ladder rungs so that it cannot slide out as I am trying to walk it up the tree.

also from the top of the stand use the longest ratchets you have and hang them from each side of the seat portion so that they are hanging loose and you can grab them from the ground after the stand is against the tree.

very tough to do considering a lot of the doubles weigh between 70-100lbs...and are very top heavy.

after you finally get it to the top then move the ratchet up as high as you can reach from the ground. then take the two loose ones and cross them around behind the tree and out to the ladder.

this way when you have to climb up you have enough to hold the ladder in place while you attach it to the tree at the top

ClydeWigg3

Take an extension ladder with you and put a pulley in the tree. If the stand is heavy it still won't be easy, but easier than trying to push it up by yourself. Wear a hardhat. :)

CharrDad

Great ideas! Mine is a 15' stand. I guess I could take out one of the sections and make it a 12'. That should make it a bit easier to handle. I could then raise it to the full 15' next time I've got somebody with me.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Take an extension ladder with you and put a pulley in the tree. If the stand is heavy it still won't be easy, but easier than trying to push it up by yourself. Wear a hardhat. :)

That is kind of like what I have seen done before. A fellow I used to hunt with liked to hunt from tall heavy ladder stands and rigged up a pulley and windlass system like the one in the sketch below for raising those monster stands into position. We would use a climber stand to go up and put the top pulley around the tree. We also would use boards to make the bottom of the ladder uprights stay in place while raising the ladder.

Be safe and take someone with you, even if they arent able to help you at least they can be there if you get hurt.

Attachments

• windlass (800 x 1100).jpg
    windlass (800 x 1100).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 5,536

CharrDad

Thanks Milkman. Great drawing.

I may just have to wait. Sounds like the abundance of advise so far is to "BE CAREFUL". Maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew. No reason to end my season two weeks before it's supposed to start.

dixie

Yep on the being careful, the only serious accident we've ever had at the lease was by a guy putting up a ladder stand alone, he broke both ankles and a leg

Ths dog hunts!!

I've done it, A rhino 2 man , Had to use a winch, but hey that wat they're good for!!! TYL my 4 wheeler was heavy enough!!!!

SKINNERZ71

like others said, it wouldnt be that bad but its so dang topheavy. i dont think i could or would do it by myself.

BKA

Banned
It will make things easier if you drink a 12 pack or more of beer before doing this........

markland

I have done it several times moving my daughters stand around and although it is not easy, it can be done. Tried sticking the legs of the stand at the base of the tree and walking it up, worked, but took several tries since the legs would kick out and the stand would come down. Also tried standing it up and sticking the extra sections on as you work it up the tree, very difficult but did work. Easiest way was to walk it up but be careful not to drop it on ya when it kicks out. Always attach a ratchet strap around the ladder portion when you do get it up against the tree before climbing up and securing the upper straps. But, I would recommend using 2 people, much safer! Mark

CharrDad

Yep. I'm just going to wait for help. There's plenty of other things to be done prior to the 13th.

ClydeWigg3

...walking it up, worked, but took several tries since the legs would kick out and the stand would come down.

:bounce: Hence my recommendation of a hard hat! :bounce:

The man I knew using a pulley had a 25 foot stand and that thing seemed to weigh a ton and a half. He thought he had ordered the "light" model.