Standard Front sight Post vs. Flip-Up Front Sight Post On AR W/ Scope?

Rodonne1

I almost purchased my new AR today but didn't because I was torn between a Daniel Defense M4 V3 which has a standard front sight post and flip-up rear sight and a S&W M&P15T which has a really nice pair of flip up sights. I'm planning putting either an ACOG or an Accupoint as my primary optic so I probably wont use the iron sights too much but would like the option to be there. I really like the way the traditional front sight post look, however, when i mounted an ACOG on the rifle in the store the front sight was very visible in the scope, it came almost to the bottom of the crosshair in the scope. Does anyone with experince with this have any ideas or thoughts on how to setup a scope with a front sight post or should I just go with flip-up only? Thanks in advance! :flag:

DYI hunting

For red dots like EOTech and Aimpoints, I prefer a fixed front sight post. With both eyes open, the sight doesn't get in the way. There are also plenty of mounts out there that elevate the optic so the front sight post is in the bottom 1/3 of your view. That keeps it out of the way but you can flip-up your rear sight (BUIS) in an emergency and fire without having to struggle to remove the optic or try to reach out and flip up a second sight at the end of your rifle eating valuable time.

For magnified I prefer flip-up sights.

davis211

Ditto - like DYI said. Since you're spending the money anyway, I would go with folding front and rear. You may decide to scope it later and you will see the tower on a low setting. If you crank it up to 9x or so, you shouldn't notice the tower as much.
I actually like to see the sights through my aimpoint. The dot is right on top of the front sight post.
Good Luck.

Rodonne1

Thanks alot guys, an Aimpoint was also an option that I was considering. I may go with a red dot for the 5.56 and buy a 6.8 SPCII upper without the front sight post and put the scope on that. Also, who makes a better rifle? Daniel Defense or Smith and Wesson that will also be a big factor to consider, the DD M4 V3 was $1,100 and S&W was $1,225...

SSG

I run an ACOG on a LMT w/standard fnt sight. It doesnt bother me. I hardly notice it while shooting unless I,m consciously looking for it.

DYI hunting

I don't know that much about either but I hear a lot of good about both. I do know Daniel Defense uses cold hammer forged barrels which is a plus for me.

I prefer a chrome lined barrel/chamber, 1:7 twist, MPI Tested barrel/bolt and M4 feed ramps on my rifles.

VHinch

Also, who makes a better rifle? Daniel Defense or Smith and Wesson that will also be a big factor to consider, the DD M4 V3 was $1,100 and S&W was $1,225...

Daniel Defense is the best in business right now. Smith is turning out some quality AR's, but they're aren't on par with DD, and I certainly wouldn't put $1200 into a Smith.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'd go with DD and keep your money in Ga.

Rodonne1

I'd go with DD and keep your money in Ga.

That was the main reason I began looking into Daniel Defense, it didn't take a whole lot of looking to find out that they have a top notch reputation. Thanks for all the advice guys!