Got schooled on snake id

Do you know what he is? He thought he was hiding...

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 4,321
  • IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 4,324

MX5HIGH

Looks similar to one I saw in our neighborhood this week.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a black racer.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It is a black racer.

StriperAddict

Looks similar to one I saw in our neighborhood this week.

Got one out of our warehouse 2 weeks ago, the markings on the B&W pic are about the same, and the head is a lil bit triangular. Almost mistook the one I saw as a copperhead in the low light of the warehouse

Cmp1

BANNED
Great pics,,,, you must have been pretty close,,,, never seen a black racer or rat snake,,,, have seen lots of blue racers here,,,, eat mice,,,, that's a good thing,,,,

Wanderlust

Picked up one of those for the first and last time many years ago. They have no trepidation about bitting at all.

EuroTech

I think Black Rat Snake because the underbelly is white and on a black racer it is blue. Just my two cent's !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think Black Rat Snake because the underbelly is white and on a black racer it is blue. Just my two cent's !

This one just has a white chin like almost every black racer I've ever seen. Black rat has the entire underbelly white with blotches. The head is different on a rat snake, too.

Horridus

Zero doubt, that's a Black Racer. Ratsnake head morphology is very different, also Racers have smooth scales with a satiny finish. Ratsnakes have keeled scales and a glossy finish.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Coach whip and black racer are two separate snakes.