ONF Putnam

Bone Collector

Is anybody seeing any rutting activity in the Putnam area of the ONF? I'm starting vacation this weekend and I'll be out that way. I haven't hunted my old areas on the ONF in several years due to having permission to hunt private property, but now the private land was just sold and I'm back on public land for the foreseeable future...

BC

Full Draw McGraw

I've been hunting in Putnam, just not on ONF. Been seeing a lot of scrapes, not many rubs (go figure). I had a fully grown doe ease by me on Sunday evening but nothing was following her and she wasn't acting strangely.
I'm sure the bucks are moving at this point, I just haven't seen much myself.

Bone Collector

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to vacation and I usually see good deer the first weekend of November. I hope this holds true. I'm hoping to at least get a doe this weekend since the doe days are so few, at only I think 4 days total until after Christmas. I may not get another chance at a doe.

On a side note, did you notice that on the ONF, per regulations, you can't shoot a doe with a muzzleloader even on a doe day during gun season? I won't be taking my smoke pole, but this just makes no sense.

BC

Bone Collector

Shot a 10 pt chasing on the nf in Putnam yesterday. Lots of buck sign, they are definitely rutting.

I haven't seen any deer. There are lots of good rubs and a few scrapes and some acorns. No deer in sight. I don't know where they went to. I'm going to have to scout more. Thanks for the info and congrats on the 10 pt. Do you have a pic you like to share?

BC