Elk Hunting

deerbandit

Need help deciding on what power scope to get for an elk hunt. It will be mounted on a Browning 7mag. I’d like to have BDC reticals. I currently have Vortex scopes on my other guns and really like them. Does anyone have any experience hunting out west where shoots could be 200-600 yards. I plan to zero at 200 and plan on getting that close but will be ready to shoot further. Thank you for your help.

Major Wader

3-12x minimum, 4-16x would be better.

I did a hunt out there last year and took a 325 yard shot on a mule deer. Was glad I could dial up to 12.

deers2ward

If you go onto rokslide and post that question they will tell u a max power of 9 or 10 out to about 600.

The higher magnification you have the more you "see" your movement and can sometimes make you overcompensate and get more worked up/buck fever

Also, if you are in grizzly territory, you don't want a minimum power of 4.....you want a 2 or 1.5

Then there's the whole weight thing.....are you doing horseback or backpack?

I would recommend either a Vortex 2-10x40 LH or a Swaro Z6 2-12x50

Major Wader

I used a 3-12 x 56mm Kahles so I would have maximum light pickup if I needed to take an early or late shot.

High magnification can transmit your movements, but practice can easily overcome that. Besides, you can turn a 12-16x maximum down to 3 or 4. You can't make a 9x go any higher.

I took my shot on a tripod, dialed all the way to 12x. I had no question about my aiming point.

deerbandit

Yes I will be in grizzly country. We will be using horseback to reach the camp area in hiking the ridges from there.

ProAngler

Check out the Hawke endurance line. It’s the happiest I have ever been with a scope purchase. Excellently clarity and light transmission through all magnificent ranges. I really don’t think there isn’t a better value.

joejoe47

This was my experience. Guides told me to expect a shot out to 400 yards. I took a .300winmag with a 3.5 x 10 Leopold and practiced all summer. Got to where is could hit a pie pan at 400 yards every time. Ended up shooting my bull off hand at 60 yards. If I didn't have the scope turned down to 3.5 I would have had a tough time picking him up in the scope as he crossed the narrow trail in front of me. My point is be ready for very close as well as long shots.

deers2ward

Yes I will be in grizzly country. We will be using horseback to reach the camp area in hiking the ridges from there.

You definitely want to keep that scope dialed down all the way unless you are about shoot at your elk, and the lower power the better......I stand beside my previous 2 recommendations. On the Vortex LH, check out the HSR 4 reticle. On the Swaro, I like the BRH reticle.

Last edited:

godogs57

This was my experience. Guides told me to expect a shot out to 400 yards. I took a .300winmag with a 3.5 x 10 Leopold and practiced all summer. Got to where is could hit a pie pan at 400 yards every time. Ended up shooting my bull off hand at 60 yards. If I didn't have the scope turned down to 3.5 I would have had a tough time picking him up in the scope as he crossed the narrow trail in front of me. My point is be ready for very close as well as long shots.

Your experience mirrors my first elk hunt. Practiced all year out to 600 yards. I was prepared! Shot a 6x6 bull at......48 yards.

Any scope in the 3x9, 2.5x10, 3x12 range will be entirely sufficient for what you will likely see. A strong personal bias here but, I’d forget about what you see on the “long range” hunting shows on tv. That’s not an accurate depiction at all of what you would experience on a real elk hunt. A shot on a bull elk will more than likely be 200 or so yards or closer. I’ve shot a good number of bulls and most have been 175-225 yards. This past fall I shot my farthest bull, a nice 6x7 at 342 yards.

I’d stay away from those three and four pound monster scopes, as you’ll be hoofing it up and down hills all day long. 45 degree inclines with thin air will leave you with a degree of “out of breath” you’ve never experienced.

Wise advice posted earlier. Always, not most of the time, but always keep your scope on its lowest power. I don’t care for scopes like, say a 4x16. Too heavy, but if you jump an elk, 4 Power could be too much in that situation.

plumber_1969

We will be in New Mexico this year and we were told by our guides to expect 100-200 yards. He said those long range guys do it for sport and have a ton of practice.

swamp hunter

I've shot 2 Bulls. #1 at 100 yards
#2 at 50 with a Slug Shotgun