Ladder Stand Challenges (final pics included!)

Jim Boyd

Guys - it is far from a miracle device.

It does, however, take the hard work out of elevating stands and creates opportunities that might not otherwise be possible.

I have said this before, the hardest part is carrying the ladder stand to where you want it and laying it out.

It also creates a new level of security and safety as you ascend the stand to put on the first strap or chain.

Other than the strain of lifting a stand the old fashioned way, putting that first strap or chain on can be a very precarious process.

Working at height, regardless of circumstance - however - always has some level of danger.

Done correctly, one should always be connected to a safety line when your feet leave the ground.

That is one very impressive thing about the new Millennium stands we purchased.... they are awfully heavy but they all come with excellent Prussic knots, carabiners and ropes. High quality stuff.

Pictures.... of the stands we put up, I can gladly get and post. Obviously I cannot post pics of the device yet.

I will post a report when we put up the modified Millenium and will take prototype #2 down for that job - as it has some mods and different features that need real world testing.

Thanks !

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Guys - it is far from a miracle device.

It does, however, take the hard work out of elevating stands and creates opportunities that might not otherwise be possible.

I have said this before, the hardest part is carrying the ladder stand to where you want it and laying it out.

It also creates a new level of security and safety as you ascend the stand to put on the first strap or chain.

I call that a miracle device, and by the way Jim, I'm still twistin' in the wind here so just anytime you're ready for some porstaff guys........:bounce:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I call that a miracle device, and by the way Jim, I'm still twistin' in the wind here so just anytime you're ready for some porstaff guys........:bounce:

In my case I'll pay him to let me be his porstaffer.:bounce:

If an old woman can use it, anyone can use it.:whip:

Sandra between you, Lee, and me we represent about 150 years of deer hunting experience.............. Seniors hoisting ladders. What a logo.

Jim just think what an advertisement we could make for the product. :biggrin2:

gadeerwoman

Milkman, I can see it now! Our logo is SHLEAS...seniors hoisting ladders easily and safely.
Tshirts, pens, and caps (camo of course) on order!!
Old folks rule!!:D

AliBubba

I have used come-a-longs to hang many ladder stands. Throw rope over a good branch. Lay assembled stand down. Attach seat to come-a-long and start cracking.. adjust ladder stand as it is hoisted up..

Jim Boyd

Hogman - I can’t tell if you were just joshing me or perhaps trying to goad to me into something. I can take all of the “funning” in the world but I am not generally easily manipulated.

Most folks that know me will tell you I am pretty straight up.

Bubba - for those that have excellent systems that work for them to erect a ladder stand and also increase the safety of the overall process, I am delighted for them. We have moved into the era where are many ladder stands are 20 feet tall and some taller than that. If your process allows you to lift the stands, you are still faced with the fact that it is not overly secured to the tree when you ascend to put the first chain or strap on it. Also, as Sandra noted – many is the tree that is not excellently set up for what you were talking about doing. Again, if your process works, I am delighted for you but there seems to be a very clear opportunity in our sport - for folks to find a better way to skin a cat as it relates to putting up ladder stands.

GON folks - I apologize for any and all delays. I do believe the device has a viable place in putting up ladder stands in a consistent and safe manner. I have not had a lot of time lately to work on the marketing aspect of this device but will endeavor to do so in the near future. My next step is to erect the very heavy extended millennium stand and I intend to do that in the next few weeks. That will be my next “real world” test of the device.

My genuine thank you to everyone who has followed patiently along with this thread.

BluewaterFever

Jim, I have been following along with great interest and I can't wait to try this out.
I have an ordinary 2 man stand at CMCH still in the box waiting to be tested with your set up. I think that with a little bit of instruction from you it will make for a great test. This way you can get some feedback from someone with no prior operational experience.
Now, If I can just get there the same weekend as you.

Jim Boyd

Karl - that will be easy as pie - that stand is likely not very tall.

I will be there 12-13 and 19-20 May.

Keith will be there that second weekend also.

Thanks !

one hogman

Hogman - I can’t tell if you were just joshing me or perhaps trying to goad to me into something. I can take all of the “funning” in the world but I am not generally easily manipulated.

Most folks that know me will tell you I am pretty straight up.

Bubba - for those that have excellent systems that work for them to erect a ladder stand and also increase the safety of the overall process, I am delighted for them. We have moved into the era where are many ladder stands are 20 feet tall and some taller than that. If your process allows you to lift the stands, you are still faced with the fact that it is not overly secured to the tree when you ascend to put the first chain or strap on it. Also, as Sandra noted – many is the tree that is not excellently set up for what you were talking about doing. Again, if your process works, I am delighted for you but there seems to be a very clear opportunity in our sport - for folks to find a better way to skin a cat as it relates to putting up ladder stands.

GON folks - I apologize for any and all delays. I do believe the device has a viable place in putting up ladder stands in a consistent and safe manner. I have not had a lot of time lately to work on the marketing aspect of this device but will endeavor to do so in the near future. My next step is to erect the very heavy extended millennium stand and I intend to do that in the next few weeks. That will be my next “real world” test of the device.

My genuine thank you to everyone who has followed patiently along with this thread.

No Goading on my part ,just messing wid you, This is your cat you can skin it when you want, Lots of folks are curious and some doubt that there is anything that will do this without a lot of $$ or machinery, Sounds like you might market it so I now understand the secrecy . :cheers:

Jim Boyd

Thanks Hogman!

My wife ordered me a book (today) that outlines procedures that may be beneficial if you have something you want to market.

Money is not the real problem - but “at risk” money is a bad thing.

I took a very heavy 21’ Millenium ladder stand to the club this past weekend and I am going to put it up on 19 May - this will be another good, real world test.

I have come to the conclusion that two people are better than one - mainly to control left and right sway on tall ladders as they go up. The strength needed is very minimal - a 100 lb person could do it...

I will still put stands up by myself - but I am pretty creative....

Thanks for the patience!

Jim Boyd

PS - it is NOT a lot of machinery - the device weighs substantially less than an average stand. About 50 lbs, maybe less.

The costs will not be remarkable either - probably about as much as a decent ladder stand.

I have two prototypes and I am about $1K into the project but I have had a few miscues and I have some remaining supplies.

More to come.....

Last edited:

one hogman

PS - it is NOT a lot of machinery - the device weighs substantially less than an ever age stand. About 50 lbs, maybe less.

The costs will not be remarkable either - probably about as much as a decent ladder stand.

I have two prototypes and I am about $1K into the project but I have had a few miscues and I have some remaining supplies.

More to come.....

Sounds very interesting, As you know or will the Liability part[ Lawsuit insurance] is incredible, I talked to the summit guys years ago before they sold out and couldn't believe how much Liability insurance you had to have to sell a tree stand these days .

Jim Boyd

Morning Tideup ( great name and would also make a great boat name!)

Headed to the camp this afternoon and plan to put the extra heavy Millenium up. It will not have the “flex in the middle” problem that many stands have - I see this a lot with top heavy stands like double ladders stands or stands that have a roof added.

This stand is just massive and heavy. I have created a cable type girder system for the ladder of this stand and while this is the first time I have done this, my hope is that it provides good rigidity to what is a tall and heavy ladder.

Not sure where we are gonna put it but it will most likely be in some thick and nasty - will try to get some pics of the stands and provide a summary of the time and difficulty needed to put the stand up.

Another real world test.

Thanks for asking!