What's with all the tip jars?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If I get good service, I leave an excellent tip. If I get really bad service, I leave a bad tip. If I'm at a fast food joint, I don't tip.

NOYDB

BANNED
I tip waiters, and waitresses good if they give me good service. I dont blame bad food on the people serving it, because you are not punishing anyone but the service worker. I will leave a bad tip, regardless how good the food is, if I get bad service.

If I don't get a foot rub, they don't get a tip.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If I don't get a foot rub, they don't get a tip.

Make fun if you want, but if the waitress is rude and hateful, or I never see my waitress after they take my order, and I sit there with an empty glass the whole meal trying to eat my food with no drink, they don't deserve 20% for breathing. Sorry. No participation trophies from me.

Oldstick

Do what you please, I just get value from my regular places being a known great tipper and even a take out tipper to the register jar.
I don't eat much carnival food prepared by a sweaty guy wearing a checkin mask, so I don't know that I have ever tipped in that situation.

That was exactly my original point. How come tip jars seem to be appearing everywhere, even places you would never have expected to see one in the past?

I'm the same as you. I usually tip properly at places I like. And those places are strictly where I feel the food quality and service is VERY good for the price. It's to a point where you have to be extremely wary of where you go for fear of reprisal, as others mentioned. I think some of these businesses should consider that this practice can drive away more customers than it's worth.

BeerThirty

"I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I mean I'll tip if somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth the effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job." - Mr. Pink

gunnurse

This whole tip thing ran afoul when employers were able to pay wait staff $2.13 an hour, with tips making up the rest of the wait staff pay. It was a great incentive for wait staff to provide faster, better service. Work harder, smile bigger, show a little more skin, you get the picture.

Now, society has become indoctrinated that a tip shows that you are more special if you can afford a bigger tip. The reason I have a tip jar at my festival trailer is because the food is reasonable and good, and let’s face it... it’s free money.

ngadeerhunter1969

Five Guys is "counter service" or at least the one I was in was. I see this at a lot of counter service places now too. No waitresses = no tip from me. If I have to get my own food and drink and throw my trash away after I eat, Im not tipping one red cent. That guy flipping those burgers aint making a waitress wage and relying on tips to make up the rest of it.

Mexican Squealer

Five Guys is "counter service" or at least the one I was in was. I see this at a lot of counter service places now too. No waitresses = no tip from me. If I have to get my own food and drink and throw my trash away after I eat, Im not tipping one red cent. That guy flipping those burgers aint making a waitress wage and relying on tips to make up the rest of it.

This

ryanh487

This whole tip thing ran afoul when employers were able to pay wait staff $2.13 an hour, with tips making up the rest of the wait staff pay. It was a great incentive for wait staff to provide faster, better service. Work harder, smile bigger, show a little more skin, you get the picture.

Now, society has become indoctrinated that a tip shows that you are more special if you can afford a bigger tip. The reason I have a tip jar at my festival trailer is because the food is reasonable and good, and let’s face it... it’s free money.

I've never met a waitress or waiter who was good at their job that complained about the pay structure. Those cash tips don't get reported by anyone, and they keep their tax money.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation

Make sure they don't know you didn't tip. Moe's has a tip jar but at least you watch your burrito being made

grouper throat

I noticed the tip jar yesterday when I ate at 5 guys and thought who would tip for no waitress and a $15 burger meal LOL. I do try and give 18% at restaurants even with crummy wait staff and my wife crawls my butt for it at times. I feel sympathetic for the staff knowing they are dependent on the tips and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Oldstick

I'm not picking on 5 Guys, either. I see jars almost everywhere at counter service only places. Subs, coffee, donuts and on and on.

I'm starting to wonder if they are just trying to create the image that they are a "real restaurant" as opposed to all the other wait-in-line places serving the same stuff.

NOYDB

BANNED
I'm not shy.

If my drink isn't filled, I call out to the wait staff that I want a fill up.

Putting a tip jar on the counter, doesn't change a thing that I do. If the service is what I expect I will leave a tip where ever is convenient to me. If there is no place handy, I will hand the tip directly to the server. If I don't feel that a tip is earned I have no problem leaving.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I'm not shy.

If my drink isn't filled, I call out to the wait staff that I want a fill up.

Putting a tip jar on the counter, doesn't change a thing that I do. If the service is what I expect I will leave a tip where ever is convenient to me. If there is no place handy, I will hand the tip directly to the server. If I don't feel that a tip is earned I have no problem leaving.

I bet you've had a few "extra ingredients " in your food more than once or twice at a restaurant

NOYDB

BANNED
I bet you've had a few "extra ingredients " in your food more than once or twice at a restaurant

Nope.

Have yet to meet a clairvoyant wait person. If the service is lousy and I didn't tip. I don't go back.

There is no place I have to go.

Nor do I care what a person that I will never encounter again in this life thinks. About me or anything.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
You see better service in establishments that don't share tips. My wife is a server and wouldn't work in a place that splits tips. She's been there and done that, left the t-shirt. The problem is you have a couple that work their buts off and a few that hardly do anything and then the ones that have to work their buts off have to hand their hard earned cash over to the slackers at the end of the shift. We always ask the waitress if they split tips or not.

jbogg

I ordered a pizza for pick up from a small Italian restaurant not far from my home. When I picked up the pizza I noticed a tip jar full of ones right next to the cash register. I was prepared to leave the nice polite young gal a small tip, but I asked her if she would receive some of the tips from the jar. She leaned Towards me and quietly said that the owner keeps all the tips from that jar and does not share with the staff. I told her I would pass on leaving the owner a tip and she just smiled and said good choice.