boat set up help

tail_slider3d

I've been bowfishing out of my 14ft jon boat. I put a 3 ft deck over the top rails. not a lot of elevation but its better than standing in the floor. I tried to mount lights at deck level but with me in the front of the small boat the lights aren't much higher than a foot off of the water. as you can guess this don't give me much of an area lit up. maybe 3 or 4 ft from the boat. any ideas of how to raise the lights up? I don't think I can build a rail bc of the limited space in the front of the boat.

castandblast

I did my old deck/light rig like this. not the greatest by no means, But I shot a TON of fish off of it. Just a piece of flange on top and bottom with a piece of pvc or conduit in the middle with the lights mounted on top. The whole in the deck is from the tornado at the 2010 Muzzy...

Attachments

• light rig.jpg
    light rig.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 751

FOD

From what I've found,a raised deck isn't really worth the trouble unless you're shooting in the daytime,and it gives you a nice place to put your lights.After having raised decks for 10 years,I went to a flat deck,my lights get in the way sometimes,but I'm closer to the fish,and it's alot more simple.

j_seph

What size/kind of lights are you using

j_seph

My 10 are mounted just barely above the deck and get plenty of light with 300 watts, even more now that I went with 225 ultras may even add 4 more toward the back.
IMG_6687.jpg

tail_slider3d

that's a lot of lights. my boat is so small I was afraid that many lights would make me fall. I just have two on each side angled towards the bank I'm working. since I'm always working the bank for these carp the thought has crossed my mind to put all 4 on one side and add one on the other side just for navigation?

castandblast

that pvc pipe and flange should work well on a flush deck as long as you dont put them too high. its just like shooting over a knee rail. for that matter, just build a knee rail and mlunt them to it. we built one on my buddy's 1648 and my 1756 before i built the raised aluminum deck on it.

Augustabowhunter

Do they have the smooth metal inside the lights or is it the rippled metal? Smooth will give you a wider surface area than rippled.

tail_slider3d

I will have to check but I think they are smooth. I went to the home depot and found pvc precut to 2ft and flanges that fit. with a little ingunuity I should be able to run the set up free of wires around my feet. now the big question is how to keep all of the bugs off of me. I got covered last time I tried this.

Michael

I shot for yrs out of a 14' Duracraft with 2-500 wt lights up front and 2-300 wt lights on the side. The 500 wt lights were on a 16" pole and the 300's were on a 12" pole.

FULL_DRAW

I will have to check but I think they are smooth. I went to the home depot and found pvc precut to 2ft and flanges that fit. with a little ingunuity I should be able to run the set up free of wires around my feet. now the big question is how to keep all of the bugs off of me. I got covered last time I tried this.

What bugs???

Attachments

• bugs2.jpg
    bugs2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 691
  • bugs.jpg
    bugs.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 674

FULL_DRAW

Good Lawd, I thought we were in em bad, but no where near did they try and push the boat down like those are:yawn:

Yea that was @ Oconee near swords. It was pretty bad! took 2 hrs to clean them outta the boat! probably could have filled a 5 gallon bucket with em.

j_seph

We had em at Oconee up the river and you could ere popping everytime you took a step. Started to go to a team name change of snap, crackle, pop lol