Bears up north ga

Tadpole23

I'm going to try to go up to cohutta and do some bear hunting for couple days hopefully in October. We have a 1 day bear hunt here in middle ga and I've killed 1 over the years so I know how to find sign and I know what I'm looking for to hunt but I've only been to cohutta once and didn't have a very good trip we hunted flat top mountain or bald mountain I think been probably 10 years ago. I've read alot on here about cohutta and it's all helpful but I can only go for a few day are there any certain areas to stay away from or areas that I be better to go walk. I plan on doing alot of walking the first day and hunt the next 2 if I can find any sign. Y'all think it be better to go bow hunting or on a gun hunt since I only be there for few days.

Last edited:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I am not a regular Mountain Hunter, but I did take a black bear one archery season. Give me the first two weeks of bow season over all the rest.
Hint, you may need to practice shooting your arrows up at a 45 degree angle through the canopies of oak trees.:biggrin2:

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Bow season in September. Go up and find the white oaks and you will find bears. Walk the old logging roads in the evenings, get the wind in your face and listen for the bears up in the trees breaking limbs. Also check the food plots esp the ones with sorghum. Please kill your limit and then bring someone else to kill theirs as well.

whitetailfreak

Last week of September is prime time. PM me before you head up and I'll point you in the right direction.

Tadpole23

Thanks guy for any information looking forward to walking my legs off up there

Killer Kyle

If you plan to do a lot of walking while here, leave those rubber boots at home and bring a well broken in pair of hiking, hunting, or work boots. If you bring the rubbers, you'll be sorry!!!

Tadpole23

I will be wearing my tree climbing boots since they broke in good with alot of ankle support

Tadpole23

Boots

When I'm in a top of a tree cutting it down it's a pair of boot I use for limb walking.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
You need to get a pair of boots for hunting and leave the work boots at home. A bear will smell you faster than a deer will....... and a hog has better sense of smell than all of them put together.

1eyefishing

... lightweight, soft soled, ankle high hiking boots without high heel, gas and oil and 2-stroke exhaust all over them are better than climbing boots.

Except for climbing trees...:cheers::D:D:D

Attachments

• canopy high-1-1.jpg
    canopy high-1-1.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 677

Killer Kyle

When I'm in a top of a tree cutting it down it's a pair of boot I use for limb walking.

Seems like you and TreeCutter have some things in common! Might not be a terrible idea to bring your hooks, harnass, and rope. Might be able to dangle from a tree rather than sit on the ground!

tree cutter 08

I use my hooks and a tree saddle to hunt out of. A whole lot lighter than a climbing stand. Also you can take 20 or 30 foot of mule tape or rope and weave a seat between tree limbs to sit on. In the right tree its pretty comfy.

1eyefishing

Check out the tree frog tree seat made by New Tribe. Excellent saddles also.

1eyefishing

And the leg straps can be removed. As such, I can use mine as a conventional safety belt with an anchor point in the rear...

Tadpole23

My saddle has a ring on the front and back so it would be good to hunt out of. I've deer hunted alot of it but didn't think about taking it with me.

1eyefishing

My saddle has a ring on the front and back so it would be good to hunt out of. I've deer hunted alot of it but didn't think about taking it with me.

Personally, I wouldn't take it with me(for archery bear). Deer hunting is an ambush situation, whereas, in the bear mountains, I'd rather be mobile.