A lot to learn

Riplukelee

Hey folks, just a entry to say this weekend showed me once again how much I have to learn about coastal Georgia fishing. I was finally able to get out for some fishing Friday afternoon and all day Saturday (replaced gears and seals in lower unit previous weekend). Took my 3yo son Friday and let him catch as many bait stealers as he could handle so I didn't really fish myself. Saturday with my brother and dad was a different story. We fished hard all day long. Didn't do all that great. One keeper trout and nine or ten sheepshead. But we watched a couple boats bring in nice trout after trout after trout. They know something we don't. So I'm studying shoreline and water features as well as tide flow and I'll be back at it again this weekend. We fished popping corks with DOA shrimp and live shrimp. We did catch quite a few short trout. All in all better fishing than working. Pic is my son worn out after "fighting" bait stealers with his Mickey Mouse combo all afternoon.

Attachments

• Deet sleep in Boat.jpg
    Deet sleep in Boat.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 513

Scallen2112

Well, the water looks good - relatively clear. That silver glitter DOA in the pic is the one they do best on for me, so check on that. So that narrows it down to location in my mind. Tell us about the water you were fishing. Depth, any structure, surrounding water, anything you can think of to help figure out what you might do different. If your catching sheepshead there, that might not be the place you want to be for trout.

PS - Go Pop!! My father had me fishing at that age, and he was my best fishing buddy until he died earlier this year - almost 50 years of fishing together. That's a lifelong bond for you two.

Riplukelee

Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad had me and my brothers fishing as early as I can remember. Sheepshead location is another spot. Fished for trout along a shell bank ... water depth varied. We pretty fished around the oyster bars and shell banks around Newell and Jacobs Creek. Water was very cloudy due the to the outgoing full moon tide. All the fish we or anybody else caught was on the shell banks in 2-4 feet of water.

Scallen2112

Well...I can't really add anything to that scenario, as that's exactly the conditions I have been catching them in. Of course, they are not always everywhere. Might just chalk that one up to the wrong place on the wrong day and the mud and tides. We pulled up on a place very similar yesterday. I threw out and caught a nice trout on the second cast with the same rig. I thought "Oh, it's on now!"...then nothing. Didn't catch another one. I could see them hitting up and down the rakes on the shore I was fishing, but we were anchored up in the big boat (25' Hydra-Sports walk around) and that things not very easy to move around - especially in 4' of water on a falling tide.

Oh, and my wife got all doe-eyed over that pic of your little boy crashed out on the boat.

brown518

Fishing beats working any day! Started fishing with my son around 4-5 years old, same as my late father did with me. That is a priceless picture! A great opportunity to build memories for a lifetime.