• Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 12.36.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 12.36.24 AM.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 736
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 11.14.10 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 11.14.10 AM.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:

Kanook

It is considered a "Firearm" and sold as "Other", just like a virgin AR lower receiver. You must be 21 to purchase.

The article says age 18 to purchase, where legal. Of course the author may be mistaken. Remington has its own very similar version. The ones I've seen seem to hold less shells, however. I have been sorely tempted to purchase one (Mossberg M590 version) as a HD weapon. The short Auguila loads tested seem to be a very viable choice for moderate power HD ranges.

Last edited:

Kanook

Interesting that it mentions/says 18.

Looks like I need to do some more research, We were told it sells just like the AR virgin so it would be 21. But I could understand 18

transfixer

I bought the Mossberg Shockwave a few months ago, not long after it came out, its not a pistol, its not a shotgun, as mentioned it falls into an " other " category. Very cool weapon, and was fun to shoot, but I really didn't have a use for it and sold it to an older gentleman who wanted it for home defense. I preferred my full stocked 18in barreled shotguns, much easier to aim.

ryanh487

It's an "other". It's very important to understand that these weapons only fly because they are virgin receivers from the factory and have never had a stock. If you put this same grip and barrel on a shotgun you already own that was manufactured as a shotgun in the ATF logs, you are creating a short barreled shotgun and a tax stamp is required.

Robert28

The article says age 18 to purchase, where legal. Of course the author may be mistaken. Remington has its own very similar version. The ones I've seen seem to hold less shells, however. I have been sorely tempted to purchase one (Mossberg M590 version) as a HD weapon. The short Auguila loads tested seem to be a very viable choice for moderate power HD ranges.

I saw a video awhile back comparing the differences between the two guns and wanna say one took shorts (or mini shells as some call them) and the other didn't. Which one was which, I don't remember.

ryanh487

I saw a video awhile back comparing the differences between the two guns and wanna say one took shorts (or mini shells as some call them) and the other didn't. Which one was which, I don't remember.

The mossberg takes them but needs an adapter insert to keep them from falling out while cycling.

Yes, in the article linked above by BriarPatch99 about the Mossberg, they showed the part you can buy to make the cycling of the short shells flawless. I believe it was orderable online at ~ $15 and in or out of a M590 (or 500) in a few seconds. Called the OPSol Mini-Clip.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I love my shockwave!

Its my truck/boat gun.

rosewood

It's an "other". It's very important to understand that these weapons only fly because they are virgin receivers from the factory and have never had a stock. If you put this same grip and barrel on a shotgun you already own that was manufactured as a shotgun in the ATF logs, you are creating a short barreled shotgun and a tax stamp is required.

I believe in the law, it is considered "AOW", any other weapon. And yes, a tax stamp is required, but it is my understanding it is something like $5, nothing like a suppressor or SBR. Ditto on it having to come from the factory that way.

Rosewood

ryanh487

I believe in the law, it is considered "AOW", any other weapon. And yes, a tax stamp is required, but it is my understanding it is something like $5, nothing like a suppressor or SBR. Ditto on it having to come from the factory that way.

Rosewood

It would not be an AOW because it is over 26" long, which is part of the loophole for this gun to not need a tax stamp. If you shorten the barrel of a manufactured shotgun with a stock and change the grip to make it over 26" long, it's an SBS.

Also of note, the $5 tax stamp is only for the form 4 transfer of an AOW. If you make one, it's still a form 1 with a $200 tax.

georgia_home

yeah, this and the mossberg are competing.

remington was apparently -1 on capacity.

recently there was a listing of new remmy products off the gun feed. they had a FACTORY extended mag tube version in the picture.

now sure how that would effect the classification... ???

frankwright

I have the 12ga Shockwave and it is a fun gun.
The Aquila Mini's work fine with the little Opsol Mini Clip and another company nsi makes a little longer mini and it functions fine with the regular magazine.

Federal LE132 1B are devastating and easy to shoot in it. They are a low recoil 2 3/4" 15 pellet load. I had to back up to 15 yards before the pellets spread more than hand size.

I tried some full bore high power slugs and about lost the gun, I won't be doing that anymore.
ullFAJEt.jpg

GunnSmokeer

Direct quote from ATF bulletin issued in 2009:

Age Restriction & Interstate Transfer Reminders

Licensees are reminded that firearm frames, receivers, and other firearms that are neither handguns nor long guns (rifles or shotguns) are considered “Other Firearms.”

They cannot be sold or delivered by a licensee to any person under 21 years of age.

Additionally, 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3) states that
a licensee shall not sell or deliver any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to any person who does not reside in the State in which the licensee’s place of business or activity is located; this restriction includes handguns, pistol grip firearms utilizing shotgun ammunition, and frames and receivers.

LINK:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/n...s-licensees-newsletter-november-2009/download

GunnSmokeer

Just for the benefit of people NOT well-versed in the National Firearms Act and its various classes of guns, the reason things like the Shockwave or Raptor are not considered shotguns is because they were never designed and intended for use as shoulder-fired weapons. They never had a stock,and were not listed on the Feds' paperwork (or the manufacturers') as a "shotgun." From the day they were made, they've always been classified as just "firearms" that happen to use shotshells. But they're not shotguns.

If you put a Raptor grip, or any other pistol-grip-only handle on your shotgun, the barrel had better stay above 18" and the overall length (OAL) above 26 inches.

The Shockwave/ Raptor 14" barreled firearms are not "pistols" either, because (1) pistols must have a rifled bore in the barrel, and (2) pistols are intended to be operated with one hand. Any pump-action weapon is obviously a two-hand weapon.