What is a good sized "group" when shooting a bow?

What size group do you consistently shoot at 20 yards?

• .5 - 1.5 inch

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • 1.5 - 2.5 inch

Votes: 41 40.2%
  • 2.5 - 3.5 inch

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • 3.5 - 4.5 inch

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • aprox. 5 inch

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

chambers270

I am still pretty new to bowhunting and since I got this new bow I have been shooting alot more. I can see a difference already in my accuracy.

I was wondering what exactly is a good sized "group?" With say 4 or 5 arrows at 20 yards? How about 30 yards too? Today I was shooting from 3 to 4 inch groups at 20 yards. Is this pretty good or do I need to work on it somemore before bowseason?

Thanks
Chris

cowboyron

3 - 4 is good.....that will get-r-done on a deer

but of course the tighter the better......but then they say that about lots of other thangs too.

matthewsman

Go get'em tiger...

A good rule of thumb is if your group is the size of a paper plate you are ready...What ever distance thatis....If you are confident to 20yds go for it.....

Keep practicing,it's fun.........:clap:

short stop

I voted avg group to be 2.5 -3.5 . But with todays equipment at 20 yrds you should have to aim at a diff spot every time at 20 --I eneded up refletching 2out 5 the other nite punching 1spot just to get a feel on my group :eek: All were within 1.5 ''
-Last time I do that for kicks :rolleyes:

stev

Banned
chambers270 said:
I am still pretty new to bowhunting and since I got this new bow I have been shooting alot more. I can see a difference already in my accuracy.

I was wondering what exactly is a good sized "group?" With say 4 or 5 arrows at 20 yards? How about 30 yards too? Today I was shooting from 3 to 4 inch groups at 20 yards. Is this pretty good or do I need to work on it somemore before bowseason?

Thanks
Chris
what your shooting is good for whitetail. with more practice tighten up and shoot tree rats on the ground.

nicktkd

i cut quarter sized holes in a piece of cardstock papper and painted dots on the back of my block ,12 of them and at 20 yards i can hit around 9-10 most of the time...when i get a new doz. arrows i number them and write where they hit and see if there is a pattern,like one arrow is always 2" or whatever out of the circle...

reylamb

The usual rule of thumb is that for "hunting accuracy" 1 inch groups per 10 yards from the target. In my experience, some folks consider a 10" group at 20 to be good enough....I ain't one of those folks however.

matthewsman

I feel like you feel

reylamb said:
The usual rule of thumb is that for "hunting accuracy" 1 inch groups per 10 yards from the target. In my experience, some folks consider a 10" group at 20 to be good enough....I ain't one of those folks however.
but for a newbie just starting out,8-9 inches at the most.........I can do that with no sights on the ground with a recurve.....but I won't hunt with it like that either...

displacedhntr

Sounds like your ready to get in the woods. I would suggest starting to shoot a different spot with each arrow. I cant afford carbon express arrows anymore. I almost dont want to waste them on deer anymore. Who am I kidding I spend ten dollars a shot if he is a big boy.

BOWHUNTER!

reylamb said:

That isn't acceptable for me either. Even when I was new to bowhunting, a 10in group was not good enough for me. Your rule of thumb is a pretty good one.

chambers270

Man there are alot more people shooting around 1 inch everytime at 20 yards than I thought. Is that with a hunting setup or a comp. bow?

The last couple of groups were all right at 3 1/4 inch. Looks pretty good to me, a few of those I was also shooting sitting down. I actually seem to hold the bow steadier sitting than standing. Seems strange to me.

Well I have another couple of weeks to practice. I would like to knock another inch off, but I feel pretty good about a 3 inch group at 20 yards since that is smaller than a deer's heart.

Thanks
Chris

short stop

My groups are with a Bowtech Tribute at 20 yrds -hunting setup only --if I couldnt hit a 1'' dot it would be time to figure out what was wrong .30 yrd groups I settle for a groups size of a baseball ----paper plate size groups are for shotguns

matthewsman

You'd be amazed at the bunch of 240's our guys post

chambers270 said:
Man there are alot more people shooting around 1 inch everytime at 20 yards than I thought. Is that with a hunting setup or a comp. bow?

:rofl:

Don't worry when you get a shot on a deer for the first time your groups will open up...Ask the 1" group of guys if they've ever shot over under or otherwise missed a deer,If they haven't they haven't hunted very much...........

Your groups are fine.Now get up in an elevated position(on a deck,roof,or backyard stand),and shoot down into your target.See if your form holds up.You'll prolly drop your bow arm initially,hitting high.Bend at the waist instead of dropping your arm and you'll tighten your groups right back up.If you plan on using a face mask,shoot with it on too.Some masks make it harder to feel the string on your skin,making you change your anchor point.

Also concentrate on holding the bow up after the shot.I have made bad shots more than once from dropping the bow(peeking)to see where my arrow hit.I never have that problem on targets,but I'll do it on deer everytime if I don't make a concentrated effort not to....I guess I want to see where they run,how they react etc............

With the amount of shooting you're doing,you'll be fine,new bow and all,this season.:clap:

NorthGaBowhunter

chambers270 said:

Thanks
Chris
chris are you sure your bow is tuned? do you have the proper draw length? are your shafts spined correct? do you have a level in your sight? how is your form? let us see a good pic of your bow.have you done a walkback tune? I bet you can shoot better 20 yd groups than that.

Killdee

Concentrate on making the first shot count every time you practice.Over the years Ive seen a lot of folks who were murder on spots who couldnt hit deer.If you have a 3-d target move it around behind bushs at different angles and ranges and shoot off your deck or stand.

reylamb

The truth is, I don't worry about groups for bowhunting. The first arrow is the only one that matters. I will just grab the hunting bow, go to some random distance, shoot one arrow. If it is within 3" of where I was aiming it is good to go. If not, something is wrong with the bow or me and it is time to figure out what that is.

A 2" grouping at 20 yards (my 1" per 10yds rule) will make you a low mid 280's - low 290's shooter on a Vegas face target. Anyone that can hit a 1" dot every single time at 20 yards stands to make an absolute ton of money shooting target archery. Jesse Broadwater walked out of Vegas this year with over $20k from that shoot, 90+ arrows, all of them hitting a dot 1" large.

Dub

The Archer's Minute of Angle(1" for every 10 yards) is sort of what I judge my groups by. Of course this is just practicing from known distances and shooting at a stationary target.

All of my best groups in the world don't mean a hill of beans if I don't stay cool and use good form on that ONE shot that counts on a deer that I've chosen to kill.

The best thing that I can say the "group" shooting has done for me is show me when I'm off. I can then figure out which issue is causing me trouble and fix it. Good groups tell me I'm holding steady and following through after the shot properly. There are so many parallels to the golf swing.

Hopefully this repetition during practice will increase the odds that I'll do the right thing when taking those kill shots this season.

I missed a mountable buck a couple years ago and it has haunted me ever since. It has helped me focus when I'm shooting so much more. Mentally, I'm not just poking at dots....I'm picking a small target and trying to connect.

Automatically when I look at magazines or hunting videos of shooter deer the first thing I do is pick the target...small...tuft of hair, crease behind shoulder, etc. I'm sure that I'll miss deer again...but is sure as heck wont be 'cause I didn't aim at a specific spot.

toddboucher

I like my arrows to group in the size of a coke can, I quess its about 2-3" at any distance. Getting ready for hunting I want my group at 30 to look like my group at 20 or I have no need shooting at 30. In target shooting every now and then I say what happened?:hair:
But in hunting I don't have that choice, I must be sure I can make it.