Minerals

REDFOXJR

I use the small trophy rocks and top them with Lucky Buck mineral mix. The deer are not as attracted to the big trophy rocks in my region for some reason. The soft formulas such as big and j simply go to fast, I don't have the time nor the money to go down every 2 weeks to put more out. I like my sight to last a little while before having to replenish it. Also, locate your sight in hard dirt preferably near water cause deer like to go get them a swig after hitting a sight hard. The hard dirt wont let the minerals dissipate to fast making it last longer. Try to locate it on a well used trail, if you don't you may not be happy with the results.

bigsweets008

I've been doing a Tractor Supply mixture of their 50lb bag of general purpose minerals,1 tub of lucky buck minerals, and I throw in a small straight salt block on top of the loose mix. Seems to do pretty good.

RedHeader

Find a Redmond Dealer in your area and buy the Redmond Dura block natural mineral salt block. This is the same as a trophy rock but is as big as a standard salt block and usually costs only around $20 and the deer love them as much as they do the trophy rocks!! I have them all over our property and it's also cool to watch them lick that thing down to nothing!!!

As stated above, look at the overall picture with minerals being a piece of the puzzle. But just looking at minerals, this is second to none.

-Caleb

Doolydawg03

Just my advice pay attention to what you are buying check the guaranteed analysis on the product you plan to use, you will be surprised on what you find, most of the mineral on the market are about 90% or more salt. That being said deer are attracted to salt which is what makes them come to your site, but salt does nothing to enhance antler growth you want good levels of calcium, phosphorus, vitamins etc. if you want to feed salt go buy a bag of feed salt for about 1/4 the price of these name brand blocks/minerals.......hope this helps!!!!!!

Big7

The Oracle
Link is no good

Working over here.

7 threads with Big7 posts. :huh:

Maybe try "Advanced Search"
Put in the exact name box Big7
then in the word(s) box put in salt, minerals.

If that don't work let me know and I'll try to fix it.

Cole Henry

The only thing minerals are good for is getting summertime inventory photos of your bucks. There has been no proven scientific data that shows minerals grow larger horns or help in lactating doe's.. On that note I use the $6 Tractor supply mineral blocks and get a ton of photos and they dig a giant hole in the ground.

Big7

The Oracle
The only thing minerals are good for is getting summertime inventory photos of your bucks. There has been no proven scientific data that shows minerals grow larger horns or help in lactating doe's.. On that note I use the $6 Tractor supply mineral blocks and get a ton of photos and they dig a giant hole in the ground.

Yes.. You will find that also in the link in my above post.

They do establish trails that they DO USE in fall even after they stop hitting the salt.
You will find that in there too.. :cheers:

Last edited:

Doolydawg03

I agree with you to a certain extent but the $6 tractor supply mineral block surely doesn't come close to some other minerals on the market since a deer cant solely live off a mineral alone there is no scientific data showing a deer is what it is just from the mineral but i believe that a true mineral indeed does do more and does play a role in antler growth just not the whole part a deer's diet/genetics has the biggest part to play. I do believe a good mineral can and does help.