A question for believers

ambush80

And to all: The fact is, science cannot prove nor disprove faith. Neither can physicists, theorists, math wizards, biochemists, anthropologists, nor any of the other guys with all them letters after their names, actually prove (with existing tech) anything from zero state, big bang, star formation, spontaneous organic life, evolution, or man made catastrophic global warming (AGW).

What all those qualified experts (and a few quacks) can do is establish a theory and work on knocking it apart. In simplistic terms - that is the scientific method. Big Bang has been beat up a lot, but still hangs around because it tends to explain more than any other theory. Evolution survives, in spite of several knocks, because most of the evidence we find can be made to fit without too much twisting. But evolution, as it is now taught, is known to be missing some significant information that could seriously change the theory. That is how science works, theories that don't get DISproven hang around and get adjusted until everyone (or most everyone) accepts that no other theory works as well, most of the time. In the real world, science is NEVER absolute (or "settled")!

But I am hopeful (and prayerful) that you will find room in your thoughts to consider the possibility that your faith in NO god may just be slightly in error.

You could say that Atomic Theory and Relativity have been "beat up" as well. This process of "beating up" theories should be celebrated, not looked upon as a weakness in the scientific method or falseness of its discoveries. I think what we A/A's do is try to apply scientific method to faith; to "beat it up"; to "beat the truth out of it". But then: "The fact is, science cannot prove nor disprove faith."

I really admire the scientific method. It gives me insight into many things that help me navigate my world. If I understand the evolutionary underpinnings of empathy, love, beauty, compassion, justice, they aren't diminished in their awesomeness if I know that they come from some workings of the jelly in my head (not that awesomeness in itself makes something valuable). Indeed, I feel closer to them, like they're mine. I like to dabble in the Political Forum occasionally and one of the things that comes up regularly are "Rights". Many in there believe that they have certain rights given to them by God Himself. That doesn't leave allot of room to discuss them. And that's my main problem with people who believe that they have some insight into the will of God either through revelation in a text or from individual experience. Their assertions are untestable. There's a better test.

I've heard many faith based beliefs defended by their adherents by saying "Science is the wrong tool to experience God's grace". What else is there? My feelings? I know them to be unreliable. I know them to be biased and subjective. That doesn't mean that I don't revel in them. They're part of me and they allow me to "experienc[e] grace in the presence of unimaginable pain, beauty where none should be, peace where common sense would require ugly volume, and forgiveness when I simply do not deserve it", particularly when understood through the best faculty God gave me, should He be shown to exist, and that's my ability to reason. If He doesn't exist, I still have this amazing capacity to reason. It doesn't give me all the answers but it gives me the best ones I have available and it's subject to the scrutiny of someonelse's ability to reason, unlike faith. Just show me and I'll helplessly believe.

This is why I've abandoned faith as a sound method for determining the truth about reality.

Bullethead, I believe in one God, one creator, one creation. My belief is based upon a lifetime of experiencing grace in the presence of unimaginable pain, beauty where none should be, peace where common sense would require ugly volume, and forgiveness when I simply do not deserve it. The details would require far too many pages to type on this site (I happen to be a terrible and clumsy typist), so suffice it to say, my life experience led me to a grace-full God. And I do not "worship" God as much as I celebrate that I have had the good fortune to experience a little of God's creation.

Since science (the revelatory method of reason) can neither prove or disprove faith, then faith is truly subjective. One has faith because one chooses to have faith. I've eliminated faith as something reliable and even useful as I can achieve all those things you list above without it. To decide to live by faith is arbitrary and it allows the adherent to "explain" things without explaining them at all. I suppose that can be comforting in a world where there's so much we don't know about but it loses it's luster when one realizes we can do better than faith. One of these days we'll be able to throw "switches" in someone's brain and they will no longer believe in God nor want to.

Last edited:

ambush80

Oh, OK, for me that makes it remarkably simple.

The substance of the man who testifies to it, and wrote it, as against the substance of the man who refutes it.

It simply comes down to the substance of each.

One of these days we'll be able to throw "switches" in someone's brain and they will no longer believe in God nor want to.

Hold on, Isreal. One day there will be a cure.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

The substance of the man who testifies to it, and wrote it, as against the substance of the man who refutes it.

Who wrote it Israel?

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Ambush, have you ever considered writing some apocalyptic fantasy?
The genre is a little passé, but I hear the pay is good;
and you already have the title —"Switches";
and the tag line—"your brain of choice".

Hey, maybe it will go Hollywood.
Then we can say, "We knew Ambush when ..."

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Already been done, read revelations.

ambush80

I'm not fond of the genre. You should do it. I was having a conversation with my Mom and she was telling me that she believes that my Dad is in the Heaven that he imagined.

Already been done, read revelations.

Touche.

Last edited:

WaltL1

Actually no.
Pretty much the opposite.

ambush80

Here's your sci-fi story:

Would it be good to be able to "throw the switches" in the mind of a captured jihadist? A sociopathic, cannibal, rapist, murderer? If we could, would it be good or bad to throw the switches in EVERYBODY's brains so that they believe that Jesus is Lord? Are they saved?

Things that make me go Hmmmmmm.....

WaltL1

Pretty much, yes.
And of course we can get in the "what is knowing" debate.
But we as humans have developed certain systems that we rely on. The judicial system goes round and round and much of it starts with - "We don't know what happened but we can rule out these possibilities based on the evidence".
As we sit here, this -

Is a statement that is backed up by the facts/figures/scientific/historical evidence that is available to us.
You couldn't prove that statement wrong by a preponderance of the evidence without pulling out the "you just gotta believe" card.
But like I said - "as we sit here". We could sit somewhere else tomorrow. But until then....
Originally Posted by Israel

It simply comes down to the substance of each
Originally Posted by WaltL1
Actually no.
Pretty much the opposite.

What do you mean, Walt?
Its not the substance of the man who testifies to it or refutes it that matters.
Its the substance of what is being testified to or refuted that matters.
Note that my post was about -
certain systems
possibilities based on the evidence".
facts/figures/scientific/historical evidence that is available to us.
preponderance of the evidence
Evidence is what evidence is regardless of the substance of the men who testify to it or refute it.
You may view the evidence through the substance of who you are but the evidence either will or will not support your view regardless.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten

Would it be good to be able to "throw the switches" in the mind of a captured jihadist? A sociopathic, cannibal, rapist, murderer? If we could, would it be good or bad to throw the switches in EVERYBODY's brains so that they believe that Jesus is Lord? Are they saved?

Would it be good to throw any of the hypothesized switchs until every consequence was known with certainty?

WaltL1

All depends on which one of our Christian friends you ask ;)
The Bible says......

Israel

BANNED
Its not the substance of the man who testifies to it or refutes it that matters.

Evidence is what evidence is regardless of the substance of the men who testify to it or refute it.
You may view the evidence through the substance of who you are but the evidence either will or will not support your view regardless.

Precisely.

When it is Zebras the hoof beats heard are those of Zebras.

Israel

BANNED

Cannot hi lite on this computer the words believe, saved, and "me".

WaltL1

Precisely.

Precisely.
Precisely the opposite of this -
The substance of the man who testifies to it, and wrote it, as against the substance of the man who refutes it
Yes if the hoof beats that were heard were in fact zebras then the hoof beats that were heard were in fact zebras.
But before you know if they were in fact zebras you could eliminate that they were chickens. So -
"We don't know what happened but we can rule out these possibilities based on the evidence".

ambush80

Ah, yes. I understand.

ambush80

Would it be good to throw any of the hypothesized switchs until every consequence was known with certainty?

That's kind of what I was assuming. I was assuming that ALL the switches in the brain had been mapped out. But maybe that's the plot wrinkle in the story.....

ambush80

All depends on which one of our Christian friends you ask ;)
The Bible says......

As far as I can tell, the only thing that gets one saved is believing that Jesus is Lord. One of these days we will be able to make people truly believe that by throwing a "switch".

Israel

BANNED
But the words came through man in both cases...the hoof beats.

And there's reason in each word.