Heresy! Full rut 8pt taken with suppressed AR15.

ASH556

“.223 isn’t enough for deer.” “AR15’s are assault weapons, not hunting rifles.” “Silencers are just for assasins.”

I kicked over some sacred cows with this morning’s hunt. 180lb 8pt in full rut taken at 80 yds with a suppressed AR15 shooting 62gr Speer Gold Dot .223’s. 15 yard recovery on a double lung pass through.

Thank you Lord for the opportunity to enjoy your creation!

Let the weeping and gnashing of teeth begin.

Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr
Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr

Last edited:

deast1988

Congrats, I wanted to try it with the .223. No complaints at all performance.

Nice deer, awesome rifle set up. Congrats

AliBubba

Back in the days, I used to take Ibex and Big Horn sheep with a 22 Hornet in the Middle East.. it's all about shot placement... not sure why the chatter?

Paul Cataldo

I thought .223/5.56 was illegal for deer in GA. When did this change?

ASH556

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Nice buck, but as said before....why the chatter? Who cares what you shoot, as long as it's legal. It would make more sense to defend your choice AFTER a stone is thrown IMO

ASH556

Nice buck, but as said before....why the chatter? Who cares what you shoot, as long as it's legal. It would make more sense to defend your choice AFTER a stone is thrown IMO

Plenty of stones have been thrown at AR's, suppressors, and .223 for deer on this forum. The post is a tongue-in-cheek way of calling out the myths, while simultaneously sharing a successful hunt.

Moreover, there may be those that are ok with the notion of .223 for deer, but only during certain circumstances. Certainly not during the rut or when targeting big bucks. In fact, when sharing today's success with an older friend, that was his exact response, "Why would you carry a .223 during the rut?" As though somehow the rounds lethality degrades because the deer are mating. I just wanted to share the data point.

T-N-T

I like an AR for deer. Mine is a 6.8SPC though

Congrats on a nice buck!

steve woodall

I killed a 365lb bear with a suppressed ar last year, it was a 6.5 Grendel though.

ASAPglock

I like an AR for deer. Mine is a 6.8SPC though

Congrats on a nice buck!

OP congrats on buck

I love my 68. Guess I'm partial because I built and accurized it myself. ;o) It is a downright hog/deer slaying round within 400 yards. By golly, it is loud too. I suppress mine when I have private land/permission to use it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I killed a 1500 lb. steer with a .22 short once. I have seen deer and bears killed with .22LR. .22 LR is legal for deer here. I would not deer hunt with one, though, if I had another option. Obviously, the .223 worked for you and works for others. Nice buck!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member