Bowhunting at LBL Kentucky this year.

Bambibuster21

I plan on doing a DIY bowhunt trip to LBL KY this year. Apparently I am going alone. I have never been there before but I am starting to know the area by the maps I have looked at. Does anyone know anything about LBL? or maybe pennyrile?

madie

Lbl

Hey bambibuster, I live about 12 miles from LBL,beautiful place with very good deer hunting.Check area 8 and 10 on the southern end.

Ricky

Bambibuster21

Im hoping to hunt the northern part in kentucky. What is the terrain like? open hardwoods? pines? fields? I know there is alot of acreage up there and that is what I am looking for. lots of places I wont see anyone else.

ga boy bowhunter2

224798-R1-20-3.jpg
killed this buck at pennyrile

CharrDad

I thought about going myself this year... I have family near the Tennessee side. Anyone ever hunt the south section? Any suggestions for a first timer?

DEERFU

I'm hoping to go in the near future myself. Been looking at area 10 but the the northern sections were hit hard by the ice storms in the 09 ice storms makin it a little harder to access last deer season. I think that may have taken a little pressure off the area. There's some good info on the kentucky hunting forums if you search lbl there but don't expect most of the members to be too kind to non locals as far as giving out general info. Would love to go up before the summers up and do a little camping/scouting if I can break my teenage son away from his "busy" schedule!

madie

Lot of ice damage on the northern end from 09,but nothing you can't manage, game has really done well since the ice especially the small game.More crop land the farther south you go_Our favorite bow areas was 8-10.We don't hunt it much any more we got just as many deer on this side of the river as between the rivers.I am a local was born and raised in LBL before the goverment bought it out years ago.

CharrDadd,good deer hunting on the Tenn,side but theres more big deer killed on the KY,side.

Ricky

BornToHuntAndFish

Yep, you oughta have a good hunting trip in northern TN near KY. Year after year we keep hearing good things about the "Land Between the Lakes" & Western Kentucky producing great trophy wallhangers along with KY being 7th in the nation for B&C bucks for a long time. Hope you have lots of success & look forward to hearing your reports of your hunting adventures up there.

DEERFU

Going up with my son for a camping/scouting trip the weekend of the 30th :biggrin2:. finally I'm gonna be able to pull him away from his friends and the gals for a couple of days! We'll bring back pics of the place anyway.

flatwoods

I'm hoping to go in the near future myself. Been looking at area 10 but the the northern sections were hit hard by the ice storms in the 09 ice storms makin it a little harder to access last deer season. I think that may have taken a little pressure off the area. There's some good info on the kentucky hunting forums if you search lbl there but don't expect most of the members to be too kind to non locals as far as giving out general info. Would love to go up before the summers up and do a little camping/scouting if I can break my teenage son away from his "busy" schedule!

You might want to rethink going before summers up.
I just got back from Grayson county and I'm scratching tick bites as I'm typing!
Definitely a bumper crop of them up there.

florida boy

We hunted the LBL for 5 years straight and killed a couple of 130 + bucks and seen lots of others . I have seen them over 170 inches but they get pressured .We quit going two years ago because of the hunting pressure and the EHD kill off . I imagine they are on the rebound now . The history and scenery is worth the trip alone . IM me and I will give you some help if I can . It would take you many years to walk that whole place and every year is different with the deer movement . If they have a poor acorn crop ( once every five years or so ) your chances are way better .

Last edited:

DEERFU

You might want to rethink going before summers up.
I just got back from Grayson county and I'm scratching tick bites as I'm typing!
Definitely a bumper crop of them up there.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Already got the permanone ready and have been dosin' up on the apple cider vinegar! I've been told many times the place is full of ticks. I know the deer are there too just got to find them. Bambibuster I think if you contact the office they will send you a nice packet full of info.

jmharris23

I went to Pennyrile a few years ago and want to try the LBL very soon!

Acrey

Went to pennyrile last year 09 the storm did so much damage, that I want go back till prob 2012. I went in 08 n saw alot of deer, got a good 8pt. The woods looked like a war zone and saw very few deer compaird to 08.

HYDRASPORT2200

lbl hunt

ive grew up in lbl,back then it was TVA and still today i hunt there, i can tell you anything about lbl. deer hunting excellant but you need to be there at the right time. varmit hunting very good, hogs are getting better each year etc i dont want to brag but i know every road on ky side, few in tn natural salt licks etc last year 5 of us bow hunted this is what we killed. 13 pt 10 pt 8 pt 8 pt 3 does and armidello, we seen 72 deer between us 2 monsters out of range 4 of the deer we gave to ann at north check center. she has pass away in jan but ive got two more that want deer at the golden pond entrance so please if ou have any questions email me HYDRASPORT2200@YAHOO.COM thanks rodney