Brown mineral/salt blocks from Tractor Supply?

lungbuster123

Any have any luck with the brown mineral/salt blocks from Tractor Supply? I bought two Trophy Rocks yesterday (I know im alittle late, but hopefully they will still use them ::;)

Im just curious because the brown blocks sure are cheaper. I plan on haveing a mineral sight and taking corn in once a week.

jeff74

Yes, they are digging holes where the blocks were! Been topping them with "deer minerals". Good luck

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I use the brown blocks pretty much exclusively. The deer like them and dig holes where I put mine.

Nugefan

I use the brown blocks pretty much exclusively. The deer like them and dig holes where I put mine.

X2 and is a lot cheaper than the Trophy Rock ...

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
X2 and is a lot cheaper than the Trophy Rock ...
You ain't lyin'!!!

Ok thanks yall...do yall think ill be alright putting trophy rock out this late?
Absolutely. I keep one going year round. They hit the lick sites heavier in hot weather, but will still visit during the winter. Put it out. Just keep in mind, wherever you put it will get pawed up so put it somehwere you don't mind having a hole several feet across and a foot or so deep.

FLGobstopper

On our property they'll pound the Trophy Rock, but don't touch the mineral block. I've had some out for over a year and it looks like they're brand new. The TR's on the other hand have grooves warn in them from them licking and chewing and usually last about 5-6 weeks. Gotta put them in a place that doesn't flood though cause they will dissolve.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
On our property they'll pound the Trophy Rock, but don't touch the mineral block. I've had some out for over a year and it looks like they're brand new. The TR's on the other hand have grooves warn in them from them licking and chewing and usually last about 5-6 weeks. Gotta put them in a place that doesn't flood though cause they will dissolve.

Are the mineral blocks covered or in the open?

coondog96

X2.....i have used the brown mineral blocks in the past with no results,put out a trophy rock in the same spot and the deer started useing it within days.:huh::confused:

florida boy

X2.....i have used the brown mineral blocks in the past with no results,put out a trophy rock in the same spot and the deer started useing it within days.:huh::confused:
I have put both red block and trophy rocks out 50 yds apart in 4 different spots and they wont even touch the red blocks . The trophy rocks on the other hand are unreal ! I will not waste my money on the red ones anymore ...

Darkhorse

Deer are like horses in that they really need to chew off some of the block with the front teeth. Where cows have such a rough tongue they can lick a hard block with much success.
Some of the better feed stores and horse specialty stores carry a block that is a little crumbly made just for chewing. I'm not sure how the price compares to TR, but they used to be a little more than than the hard, brown mineral block.
Problem I had with them were horses and deer and hogs consumed them faster than my meager means could replenish them.
Finally I quit using them altogether and just buy the hard blocks. My horses eventually wear them out also.

BornToHuntAndFish

Any have any luck with the brown mineral/salt blocks from Tractor Supply? I bought two Trophy Rocks yesterday (I know im alittle late, but hopefully they will still use them ::;)

Im just curious because the brown blocks sure are cheaper. I plan on haveing a mineral sight and taking corn in once a week.

Yep, the brown Tractor Supply Company mineral blocks that we put out in late Jan./early Feb. work fine for us, but when pulverize them into powder and pour table salt & coarse/ice cream rock salt on top of it but follow that with pouring water on top of it to get the chemical reactions start so there's a much better salt aroma in the air, the deer activity significantly increases since they love rock salt the best & table salt 2nd best for us. We also hand broadcast whole kernal corn around our mineral lics which helps get more trail cam photo captures.

DeepweR

a trophy rock aint nothin but salt, and yes deer will wear them out. what do they cost? $10 for a what ? 10lb rock! and no deer dont like straight mineral blocks cause there bitter. the best thing i have found is to mix the 2 but i use the salt and the trace mineral salt in the bags. mix 50/50 . i wouldnt buy a trophy rock for $10 (10lbs) when you can get a straight salt block thats $5 (50lbs) from tractor supply.

JWT

Try using pool salt from home depot they love it I been using blocks for years but. Now all I use is pool salt and my licks have tripled in size & usage!

BornToHuntAndFish

a trophy rock aint nothin but salt, and yes deer will wear them out. what do they cost? $10 for a what ? 10lb rock! and no deer dont like straight mineral blocks cause there bitter. the best thing i have found is to mix the 2 but i use the salt and the trace mineral salt in the bags. mix 50/50 . i wouldnt buy a trophy rock for $10 (10lbs) when you can get a straight salt block thats $5 (50lbs) from tractor supply.

Yep, the trophy rock cost more ($15 at Cabelas & Bass Pro) than the regular brown cattle mineral block, but lots of folks mentioned in an earlier forum thread that deer like & hit the trophy rock lots more. Good approach mixing them for a lower cost approach.

BornToHuntAndFish

Try using pool salt from home depot they love it I been using blocks for years but. Now all I use is pool salt and my licks have tripled in size & usage!

Yep, Home Depot & Lowes & Walmart coarse pool salt is what I used last year & is just like regular homemade ice cream rock salt.

bbaa131

I started off with Trophy Rocks,then freshened it up with white and red bag salt.They like the white salt better but of course the red helps those bones on their heads.Ounce it melts into the ground I dont think it really matters(red or white)But I gotta say they love that Trophy Rock !

superman1275

ill buy the 50 ld bag of mineral salt its cheaper for some reasn at my feed store and the deer kill it all year round started out with a small hole now its about 5 ft round and 1 1/2 ft deep

frankwright

I have found the deer will adapt to the loose red mineral salt much faster than the solid blocks.

They seem to like the blocks more after they have melted in the ground.
Hot weather seems to really put them on the salt licks.

Garcia Mitchler

You know, I got one of those Trophy blocks... no good.

I licked that block for 2 straight hours and I didn't see a dad-gum deer!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: