Field test: Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
My rifle shoots 6mm Norma BR.

Well I just got back from my Wyoming hunt. We had a great time for a couple of old coggers. We found out that hunting just on public walk-in land north of Gillette is for the young guys. With only one excuse being our age. Me 65 and my buddy 62 it really was hard on us. I could only walk about two hundred yards through sage brush without falling down and almost braking my wrist and wrenching my back the first morning.

We were watching 15 goats including 4 bucks for 5 days within 300 yards of a high point over looking them. The morning the season opened was when I tripped and fell. I'm glad no one was there to laugh at me. After I found my glasses I picked up my rifle with the new Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA with the custom turret scope on it up out of the dirt which took most of the hard hit on the objective end of the scope. There was a little dirt in the very end of the barrel too. After I got calmed down I worked my way to the point and unpacked to settle in prone to glass for the goats.

Well they had moved at least one mile to private land and stayed there until we left to come home.

Since there wasn't anything for me to shoot I decided to take a shot at a coyote at 155 yds. to see if the PST held up to the punishment it was given. I left the turret at 2 which is my 200 yd. zero and since he was looking up at me I put the cross hair on his lower neck and sent the 105 gr. Berger on its way. It hit the bottom of his neck and came out his back. He just dropped and never moved.

About 45 minutes later I spotted another one at 400 yds. I turned the turret to 4 for 400 yds. and turned the power down to 6x and was amazed that even though it is very thin you could see it perfectly and could hold it on what ever part of the body you wanted to hold on. If it was a SFP scope the normal hunting reticule would have covered the whole coyote. This is for me one of the nicer features of this scope.

Well I held on its chest and sent another Berger on its way and bingo it flopped over and only kicked twice that I could see.

On Sunday we met a guy that builds long range rifles for people and has a target range that goes to 2,000 yards. I wanted to check the custom turret that Vortex made me. Since the turret is MOA in yards it ends at 900 yds, but when I turned it around past 900 to 7 it was dead on at 1,000 and when I turned to 8 plus 1 line it was dead on at 1,200 yds. I also moved from target to target up and down the different distances and the scope tracked perfectly.

I am still amazed at how easy this scope works and all the options that come with it.

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

PS: LOL. I did not shoot the one on the chain.

Attachments

• pet coyote.jpg
    pet coyote.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 6,834
  • 155 yard shot.jpg
    155 yard shot.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 6,836
  • bling 3.jpg
    bling 3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 5,205
  • bling 4.jpg
    bling 4.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 5,149
  • 2,000yd range.jpg
    2,000yd range.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 5,290
  • pst 2.jpg
    pst 2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 4,708
Last edited:

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Very nice! That looks like a great time. Did you ever get a goat?

Does your scope have the zero stop feature on it?

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
That's one feature I wish I had on my scope. When I have to dial in a lot of elevation and need to go back to zero without moving my head away from the scope to look, I have to go all the way until the turret stops, then count back up 8 clicks. I have a 30 MOA Picatinny rail on it, so my 100 yard zero is very close to the bottom of the scope's adjustment, but still I have to dial all the way down, then count back up. A zero stop makes that much easier and faster.