Crime based on ignorance of other's religion

TTom

So I got a message today that a man who is dear to me was assaulted today in Oregon. My friend is a Buddhist monk, lives at a monestary, and was in town, as he was exiting the car a young man walking by slammed the car door on his head, cutting him, with the epitath "Bleeping Muslim".

This time it struck my circle of friends, but it is far too often that I hear reports of this type of ignorance. I'm always shocked that people have such difficulty identifying the difference in clothing between pretty major world religions.

Sikhs mistaken for Muslims, Buddhists mistaken for Muslims, are we as a people actually that ignorant about the religions of the world that this although uncommon is happening even this often?

Is the fear of Muslims so set in the minds of Americans that this many people are willing to attack people who they think are Muslims just for being around?

ambush80

So I got a message today that a man who is dear to me was assaulted today in Oregon. My friend is a Buddhist monk, lives at a monestary, and was in town, as he was exiting the car a young man walking by slammed the car door on his head, cutting him, with the epitath "Bleeping Muslim".

This time it struck my circle of friends, but it is far too often that I hear reports of this type of ignorance. I'm always shocked that people have such difficulty identifying the difference in clothing between pretty major world religions.

Sikhs mistaken for Muslims, Buddhists mistaken for Muslims, are we as a people actually that ignorant about the religions of the world that this although uncommon is happening even this often?

Is the fear of Muslims so set in the minds of Americans that this many people are willing to attack people who they think are Muslims just for being around?

Sorry about your friend. Please post this in the Political Forum. You will see why this happens so much.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member

Sorry about your friend as well. This never should have happened. It shouldn't have happened if your friend was Muslim either.

Your post leads me to wonder why you believe that there is a "fear" of Muslims. I believe that there is a lack of knowledge of Muslims, a distrust of Muslims, a dislike of Muslims, even a hatred for Muslims, but I have seen little fear of them.

The use of the word fear seems to be another distortion of the liberals intended to denigrate the "opposition", something akin to the "micro-aggressions" they are so fond of except a little more so.

TTom

Sorry about your friend as well. This never should have happened. It shouldn't have happened if your friend was Muslim either.

Your post leads me to wonder why you believe that there is a "fear" of Muslims. I believe that there is a lack of knowledge of Muslims, a distrust of Muslims, a dislike of Muslims, even a hatred for Muslims, but I have seen little fear of them.

The use of the word fear seems to be another distortion of the liberals intended to denigrate the "opposition", something akin to the "micro-aggressions" they are so fond of except a little more so.

It will sound like platitudes and is of course a generalization and thus fraught with all things generalized.

Lack of knowledge= ignorance and ignorance breeds fear.

Distrust that they are what? Intent on taking over? (thus fear).

Dislike and the extreme end of that same spectrum "hate" Hate almost always goes back to a root of fear.

welderguy

I will pray for your friend ,not only for his physical need,but his spiritual need as well.
And let us not forget to pray for the young man also especially.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It will sound like platitudes and is of course a generalization and thus fraught with all things generalized.

Lack of knowledge= ignorance and ignorance breeds fear.

Distrust that they are what? Intent on taking over? (thus fear).

Dislike and the extreme end of that same spectrum "hate" Hate almost always goes back to a root of fear.

It is not for naught that it's fraught with generalizations.

GunnSmokeer

Yes, Americans are grossly ignorant of other cultures and religions in the world.
The same thing is true for Christians in America-- far too many don't want to learn a thing about those heathen Satanic people because "the Bible is all I need to know." So if the Bible doesn't tell you how to spot a Muslim or how to deal with Muslims, it must not be worth knowing.

stringmusic

To Be Determined
It's the ones that know which stupid verses to ignore who are our friends.
Lol, as you slam the proverbial car door on Christians...