Absolute beginner interested in starting to hunt

Joshua84

I'm 31 and come from a background that frowns upon hunting. Couple years now I've been having a very strong desire to get out there and connect with my food on a different level and want to start hunting.

I've done my hunter safety course last year but really don't know how to proceed. I don't own a rifle but have a bit of experience with a .22

Where do I go? WMAs, national forest, etc... it all gets pretty overwhelming. Are there ways to meet up with other hunters to learn from? Figure I have 2 months to cram as much knowledge in before squirrel season starts :)

Reason I posted in the small game forum is from reading online seems starting with squirrel is a great lead in to deer, plus rabbit is delicious!

Thanks,

Curtis-UGA

Small game is a great place to start. I would recommend trying to find a mentor. Check with anyone you know and see if you can tag along. Offer to buy gas or breakfast. It's kinda slow on this forum this time of year but will pick up once season gets closer. Good luck this year!

Joshua84

Thanks Curtis I guess that's part of the issue... I don't know anyone who hunts! I figure most people start when they're young and go with family, and make friends in that circle as they get older, but no one I know hunts. Hoping I can meet up with some people from this forum...

In the meantime I was thinking I could head out to some locations and practice scouting for squirrel without a rifle by myself. Researching online I've found a ton of places nearby both national forest and wma.

Any have recommendations for how to get the most out of that or any specific locations I should check out?

Curtis-UGA

Squirrel hunting will be better after the leaves fall. No matter what time of year it's best to find the food sources during that time. Squirrels will change their diet throughout the year. Find some good oaks or hickory trees now and hunt them when they begin to drop nuts.

Hardwood

Just get out there! Half the fun of hunting us just getting out and Enjoying the outdoors! I'm bad to slip off during the summer and walk the woods behind the house, call it scouting, but it's relaxin. Kinda like rabbit hunting, I love shooting and eating the rabbit. But get more enjoyment out of watching the dogs work and hearing a good race. A successful hunt doesn't always mean killin whatever your after!

Darien1

Get out in the woods. Look for the food trees, oaks, hickories and such. Look around the base of the trees for chewed nut hulls, chewed pine cones corn cobbs near fields. Sit for a while or this time of the year stand for a while. Still, listen look. Don't sit on the ground this time of year or the chiggers will eat you alive.

Cavalry Scout

Get in the woods!!! Find a WMA or Ntl Forest spot, walk, look, watch and learn. Sit and watch animals, they will teach more than any human. Finding someone to go with will cut your learning curve. Just remember, everyone has an opinion. If you dont mind driving, I would take Mr. Stans offer to hunt over dogs. He has some good ones. But, you will get hooked.

crackerdave

Come to one or both of the youth squirrel hunts this winter.Bring a couple kids,and I promise you a good time.
They'll be posted on here,and usually take place after deer season.

dm/wolfskin

Many fun ways to take squirrels. Just got to get out there and do it.

Attachments

• P1080540.jpg
    P1080540.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 350
  • P1080543.jpg
    P1080543.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 344
  • P1080544.jpg
    P1080544.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 349

Northwestretriever

PM sent

dm/wolfskin

Here's a few from my son. Before I could get a picture of the first one , he done killed a few more. Pictures a year apart.

Attachments

• PB260946.jpg
    PB260946.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 281
  • PB260948.jpg
    PB260948.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 281
  • David's pic 008.jpg
    David's pic 008.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 280
  • David's pic 009.jpg
    David's pic 009.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 277
  • David's pic 010.jpg
    David's pic 010.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 269
  • David's pic 011.jpg
    David's pic 011.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 276

dm/wolfskin

First squirrel at 5 years old.

Attachments

• Decxmas&groton06 032.jpg
    Decxmas&groton06 032.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 265
  • Decxmas&groton06 035.jpg
    Decxmas&groton06 035.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 266
  • Decxmas&groton06 034.jpg
    Decxmas&groton06 034.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 264

Clipper

1. Get you a 22. It can be a single shot or bolt action to save money cause the first shot is the only one that counts. Hunt with long rifle hollow points.
2. Put a scope on it, get it sighted in and learn to shoot it.
3. Get on the net and learn how to identify a hickory tree.
3b. If you are going to hunt during the August season get you a pair of hunting boots and snake chaps. Or you could just buy snake boots. Watch where you step, sit, and put your hands.
3a. Buy a hunting license and a management area license.
4. Find the closest management area, walk creek bottoms til you find a hickory tree with cut nuts beneath it. Most hardwoods have been cut from the ridges, but you might find some, if so hunt them too.
5. Sit down (on a stool if you prefer) and wait. You have to sit rock still and not move until you have a shot. Sit with your back to a big tree to break up your outline. Early morning and late evening is best with light to no wind. When the leaves are dry you will hear them before you see them. Leave your phone in your pocket and enjoy the woods.
5a. If you miss, and you will, don't move - they will come back out after a while.
6. They will build nests later in the year that look like a ball of leaves in the tree. Nests mean squirrels are near. Don't shoot into the nest, it's against the law and not good sportsmanship.
7. Learn how to cook squirrel or better still, marry a woman who does - unless you are already married.
8. Only hunt WMAs during open small game dates. You don't want to be there during the deer hunts;)
9. If you want to drive to Cartersville, I will show you some spots on Pine Log and Allatoona WMA. PM me if you do.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
1. Get you a 22. It can be a single shot or bolt action to save money cause the first shot is the only one that counts. Hunt with long rifle hollow points.
2. Put a scope on it, get it sighted in and learn to shoot it.
3. Get on the net and learn how to identify a hickory tree.
3b. If you are going to hunt during the August season get you a pair of hunting boots and snake chaps. Or you could just buy snake boots. Watch where you step, sit, and put your hands.
3a. Buy a hunting license and a management area license.
4. Find the closest management area, walk creek bottoms til you find a hickory tree with cut nuts beneath it. Most hardwoods have been cut from the ridges, but you might find some, if so hunt them too.
5. Sit down (on a stool if you prefer) and wait. You have to sit rock still and not move until you have a shot. Sit with your back to a big tree to break up your outline. Early morning and late evening is best with light to no wind. When the leaves are dry you will hear them before you see them. Leave your phone in your pocket and enjoy the woods.
5a. If you miss, and you will, don't move - they will come back out after a while.
6. They will build nests later in the year that look like a ball of leaves in the tree. Nests mean squirrels are near. Don't shoot into the nest, it's against the law and not good sportsmanship.
7. Learn how to cook squirrel or better still, marry a woman who does - unless you are already married.
8. Only hunt WMAs during open small game dates. You don't want to be there during the deer hunts;)
9. If you want to drive to Cartersville, I will show you some spots on Pine Log and Allatoona WMA. PM me if you do.

Good Post!!!

:clap:

dm/wolfskin

A single shot Springfield. My Dads' and I shot it when I was young. The bolt was worn out and wouldn't eject the empty case out most of the time.

Attachments

• groton-nov23-26-08 008.jpg
    groton-nov23-26-08 008.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 225
  • groton-nov23-26-08 009.jpg
    groton-nov23-26-08 009.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 223
  • groton-nov23-26-08 011.jpg
    groton-nov23-26-08 011.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 228
  • groton-nov23-26-08 012.jpg
    groton-nov23-26-08 012.jpg