War Between the States Trivia Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

srb

What was the commanders name who didn't listen to lee,Then lost what would have been a win for the south?Cant remember the battle he turned his troops/or didn't fight for the battle?Just left...What I can rember was if he had won that would have changed some of the war...

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What was the commanders name who didn't listen to lee,Then lost what would have been a win for the south?Cant remember the battle he turned his troops/or didn't fight for the battle?Just left...What I can rember was if he had won that would have changed some of the war...

Your question makes me thing of Ewell at Gettysburg. Lees infamous directions to him to take the position "if practicable "

srb

???

Your question makes me thing of Ewell at Gettysburg. Lees infamous directions to him to take the position "if practicable "

I remenmber watching pbs,The guy doing history lesson was??He has done a lot with the civil war....His words best I can remember It was a mountain side battle/he left his post or he lost his mind .... Just something sticks out about the way he said it on pbs...I wish I could remember all the details!!!!

Resica

I believe I liked that. I'll try it again. Who's this guy?

Attachments

• General_John_hunt_morgan.jpg
    General_John_hunt_morgan.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 89

westcobbdog

I believe I liked that. I'll try it again. Who's this guy?

Gen Morgan who escaped yank prison only to be given up (and murdered by union cavalry) later in Tennersee. The women that gave him up for the reward money was later shot down by one of Morgan's men. Gen Morgan was Bro. in law to a few Generals like Basil Duke, I think.

westcobbdog

This yank was taken at a young age from his parents home and raised by a man who was later a Union Commander. The young lad filled a void for the folks who had lost their only son. He later became pretty good (unfortunately) at running various ships due to this guys training and guidance. This man retained his birth fathers name, however. He was a cajun fella by birth.

hint: learned of this story while on vacation near Mobile last week.

Resica

think this man's nickname was Bull. he was a big ol' fella.
I think you're correct..

great question Resica, looks like Gen. Elsey a bit.
This guy commanded the " Army of Northwest" at one time.
This yank was taken at a young age from his parents home and raised by a man who was later a Union Commander. The young lad filled a void for the folks who had lost their only son. He later became pretty good (unfortunately) at running various ships due to this guys training and guidance. This man retained his birth fathers name, however. He was a cajun fella by birth.

hint: learned of this story while on vacation near Mobile last week.

________ the Torpedoes? David Farragut?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Who made this statement ??

"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable and most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people that can, may revolutionize, and make their own, of so many of the territory as they inhabit."

Status
Not open for further replies.