Need a string for my yard sale find, string on bow now

Fishin & Hunting

I found this very old kids bow at an estate sale in in Jackson this weekend. Cost me a whole four dollars. Hoping to get a string for it so some of the Grandkids can shoot it when they come over.

As you can see from the pictures it an old Indian fiberglass bow. It measures 54" from tip to tip. It's marked as model 24x with 25# pull. Those markings shown are the only ones on the bow.

Any idea what length of string to put on it?

Attachments

• bow.png
    bow.png
    586.4 KB · Views: 436
  • bow 3.png
    bow 3.png
    488.2 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:

Ellbow

I agree with Dennis. I found an Indian bow in our garage that belonged to my sisters boyfriends brother who had passed away.
I just took it to the local archery range and one of the members took it and refurbished it complete with new string. Never charged me. You can luck up that way.
Good luck to you!
El

Barry Duggan

I've got a 12 strand, B-50 string that should work on your bow. If you want it, pm me your mailing address.

Fishin & Hunting

Thanks everyone for their input,

It is a fiberglass bow.

Can't wait for the Grandkids to put it to use.

Barry Duggan

String will be headed your way come tomorrow.

TIMBERGHOST

After you string it, pull on it a bit and check the edges of the limbs real good for signs of splintering before you let the younguns' have it. Fiberglass splinters hurt!

Fishin & Hunting

Good Idea TG, thanks for the tip on safety.

Fishin & Hunting

Got a string that matches the bow

Well the search for a string on my yard sale find is complete. Got home yesterday to find the string waiting for me. The color matches the bow perfectly. A big thanks to Barry on the string.

I did find the bow limbs are both twisted just a slight amount in the same direction. Making the string just a little off center to the right, causing the arrow to kick to the right slightly when released. Will see if I can correct this some how.

I have hung the bow with mine on it's own pecan bow holder. Looks good.

Again Barry a big thanks, and I hope you like pecan wood.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 230

Barry Duggan

You didn't have to go and do that, but I sure appreciate the bow holder, that showed up in the mail.
If for some reason that string don't work out for you, let me know and I'll make you another one...just like it. :bounce:

JayTee

"I did find the bow limbs are both twisted just a slight amount in the same direction. Making the string just a little off center to the right, causing the arrow to kick to the right slightly when released. Will see if I can correct this some how."

I assume you need it to be shot right handed.
Not sure how the handle is attached, but it you could heat it or something & slide it off. Flip it over, then re-glue it. Stringing it upside down would offset it the other way. Which could help it to be more center-shot.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Fishin & Hunting

Yea JT, I was thinking the same thing. Just have to figure out how to get the handle to separate with out damaging it.

oldfella1962

I would start with a 51" string

Agree. Generally 3" less for a longbow and 4" for a recurve. But this bow doesn't have much "recurve" just a little at the tips. It's definitely a great kids/beginners bow at that draw weight and length. Much like the very first bow I had as a kid - I had a blast with it! :bounce:

oldfella1962

Well the search for a string on my yard sale find is complete. Got home yesterday to find the string waiting for me. The color matches the bow perfectly. A big thanks to Barry on the string.

I did find the bow limbs are both twisted just a slight amount in the same direction. Making the string just a little off center to the right, causing the arrow to kick to the right slightly when released. Will see if I can correct this some how.

I have hung the bow with mine on it's own pecan bow holder. Looks good.

Funny thing about twist. My favorite recurve (1959 vintage off the "big auction") has a very slight twist on one of the limbs. I tried hand-straightening it without heat but that didn't work. But the bow shoots great! So I resigned my self to the fact of leaving well enough alone - the bow doesn't seem to know it's twisted so why should I care? Not worth messing it up to get it perfect if it shoots great.