Lake Chatuge Catfish

The catfish were biting up on Lake Chatuge last night. Used cut bait. Caught 13, had already cleaned a couple before I thought to get a pic made. Midway back in a creek about 20 ft deep at night, enjoying all the fireworks shows. Not too shabby for a mountain lake.

The mtn man

Way to go!!

Cut bream from the boat dock and jumbo minnows from the store at jack rabbit. Herring usually work the best but I didn't have time to try to catch any nor did I want to make a Blairsville run. I don't know of anywhere in Towns Co. to buy herring?

Has anyone ever caught any blue cats out of Chatuge?

All I ever catch, other than an occasional bullhead, are channels up to about 12 pounds. You would think being in the Tennessee River system Chatuge would be blue cat central? I usually only catfish there in the summer and that may explain why I don't catch blues, perhaps they're super deep by the time I get there. What are y'all's thoughts?

The mtn man

Has anyone ever caught any blue cats out of Chatuge?

All I ever catch, other than an occasional bullhead, are channels up to about 12 pounds. You would think being in the Tennessee River system Chatuge would be blue cat central? I usually only catfish there in the summer and that may explain why I don't catch blues, perhaps they're super deep by the time I get there. What are y'all's thoughts?

Chatuge doesn't really have blue cats, 13 eatin sized cats in one night is a great night on chatuge. Be careful using those bream if you cross into nc. Ga license are good if your in a boat, but other laws don't cross the state line.

The mtn man

The mtn man

I just double checked the 2015 regs, you can use bream as bait as long as caught on rod/reel.

6. Inland game fish may be used as bait if they are legally taken
and are in agreement with the size and creel limits of the waters
being fished and other regulations.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/SeasonsLimits.aspx
Thanks for correcting me, I didn't know they changed the law, it use to read no game fish allowed for bait, thAt was a dumb rule anyways. Had a buddy get a ticket several years ago for catfishing with small bream.

Klag

Thanks for correcting me, I didn't know they changed the law, it use to read no game fish allowed for bait, thAt was a dumb rule anyways. Had a buddy get a ticket several years ago for catfishing with small bream.

Yep! I don't know when they changed it, sometime after 2011. I saw people posted in 2011 on another forum about getting in trouble for using bream for bass fishing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice mess of cats! I've never caught a blue cat out of any lake in western NC. Flatheads and channels are native in most of our rivers that drain into the Tennessee system, and are in most of our lakes here, along with bullheads and the occasional white catfish.

The mtn man

Yep! I don't know when they changed it, sometime after 2011. I saw people posted in 2011 on another forum about getting in trouble for using bream for bass fishing.

Yea, we use to have a GW around chatuge that would make you real in your lines if you were catfishing at night to see what you were using as bait. Was a dumb law.