Training pups

Riverrat84

Anybody ever started your deer dog pups on rabbits first? Got some 6 month old beagle/walker cross, thought about taking them to the pen with my rabbit dogs to get them using their noses and ready for their first deer season. The only down side I can see to this is that we have a lot of rAbbits on the high end of our club, haha. I have had puppy's in the past that would bump a rabbit, but a couple dead deer killed ahead of them fixed that. Any opinions ?

grouper throat

thousands of deer dogs in N Florida are started on rabbits every year. It's kinda the standard now here. I have a kennel full of dogs started on rabbits and once they go deer, they very rarely go back!

Last edited:

Riverrat84

I like to start them in the woods on deer around my house in the summer time but I got scolded by my neighbor a while back about a dog that had climbed out. Startin in the pen would help keep the peace I guess, glad to hear you've had luck with it.

Nannyman

Start them on rabbits. Best way I know. FWC screwed us by outlawing pens. I would love to have a 5acre or larger pen to train in. Try to run them in the dark also.

Southernhoundhunter

I'm looking for someone who starts puppies. If anyone knows someone. I know Daryl Summerall used to but he lost his pen.

pbyles

A lot of rabbit dog rejects make fine deer dogs. However, they will break your heart when your waiting at your stand heart thumping as they near crossing the road, running in circles like a big buck trying to throw their trail...and a rabbit pops out :/