Thoughts? From people with non-sheeple brains

ambush80

"Everything had to come from something......except this one thing."

Do I have that right?

Then why not two eternal somethings? Why not a Billion?

Why does it have to be ONE thing?

At that point, why can't it be everything?

WaltL1

"Everything had to come from something......except this one thing."

Do I have that right?

Then why not two eternal somethings? Why not a Billion?

Why does it have to be ONE thing?

At that point, why can't it be everything?
Because if there is more than ONE thing, the whole story falls apart.
The entirety of Christianity is based on it. There is no other option. Which is one of the stories major flaws.

WaltL1

Any Polytheists in the house?
I don't think we have ever had one chat here. Would be really interesting.
At least Polytheism addresses the logic of - if its possible there is one God its also possible there is more than one.

ambush80

I don't think we have ever had one chat here. Would be really interesting.
At least Polytheism addresses the logic of - if its possible there is one God its also possible there is more than one.

The point is that when you allow one you allow all kinds of things.

this "ONE" idea has no basis.

Where's Centerpin with a clip of Curly from City Slickers.

Last edited:

StriperrHunterr

Multiple gods in a hierarchical arrangement worked for the Egyptians, the Greeks, and many other religions throughout history. One god did not preclude the others from existing.

ambush80

Doesn't one god elliminate the possibility of others?

Perhaps they rule by consortium. I don't know. I'm just a mortal. Perhaps "they" are Everything. That's what Kwai Chang Caine might say. How could you know? And if you can't know, why bother?

Last edited:

StriperrHunterr

Maybe the trinity is but the tip of the iceberg and we instead, pardon what may seem like a flame, have a god with multiple personality disorder.

They are distinct unto themselves but occupy the same "body".

There's a scary thought. God sitting up in Heaven mumbling to his other personalities.

ambush80

Maybe the trinity is but the tip of the iceberg and we instead, pardon what may seem like a flame, have a god with multiple personality disorder.

They are distinct unto themselves but occupy the same "body".

There's a scary thought. God sitting up in Heaven mumbling to his other personalities.

I can't believe that we even discuss what it says in the Bible as possibly being real, still.

StriperrHunterr

Sure. The God of the Bible says that it is foolishness to the natural man and that he can not understand it. If this is not the case, just one time, it would be false.

Ok, but understanding and belief are two different things, and I was always lead to believe that belief in the Bible and God and Jesus was the core tenet of Christianity.

Forgive me, but that sounds like double speak. I can accept that understanding it would be impossible, having said many times that I wish believers would quit using words like "truth, facts, and knowledge" when referring to anything about their faith other than the black and whit words of the Bible. But I don't get how something can be believed in and still be unbelievable. They're direct opposite words, actually it's the opposite conjugation of the same word.

StriperrHunterr

I can't believe that we even discuss what it says in the Bible as possibly being real, still.

Well, it depends on who "we" are and to which parts you are referring. Some aspects of the Bible happened. Others are more supernatural and I'm skeptical about them. You don't get credibility purely by inclusion from me.

WaltL1

Sure. The God of the Bible says that it is foolishness to the natural man and that he can not understand it. If this is not the case, just one time, it would be false.
Wouldn't that make the whole "go forth and spread the word" thing a complete contradiction?

ambush80

Wouldn't that make the whole "go forth and spread the word" thing a complete contradiction?

I know that it's the definition of Apologetics but I still think it's weird that anyone would try to use logic to explain religious beliefs.

gemcgrew

No, it reaffirms that what the Bible says is true. When we "go forth and spread the word", the natural man will not believe it.