New mower?

ssramage

Just signed a lease on a house that has probably 1.5-2 acres of grass to cut. I don't think my push mower is going to do it anymore.

What would be your recommendation in the sub $3000 range new?

rospaw

Should find a deal this time of year. Maybe even a last year model or a end of the year tax sale.
3k is a bit under the commercial 54"/60" grade zero turns.

rjcruiser

Hustler makes a homeowner grade that's not quiet as expensive as commercial grade....the fastrack which is pretty good. I believe most of the commercial brands have done this....and they're all probably about equal.

One thing that you must get...a welded deck. Do not buy a stamped deck mower. Every time you hit a stump or a root, you'll kill that deck if it's stamped.

Edit to add...right now you should be able to find a deal on some used mowers. Lots of landscapers who didn't make it are selling stuff.

rospaw

Edit to add...right now you should be able to find a deal on some used mowers. Lots of landscapers who didn't make it are selling stuff.

My thoughts exactly! LOTS of fairly new commercial stuff for sale right now at a deal. But he did say "new".

rjcruiser

My thoughts exactly! LOTS of fairly new commercial stuff for sale right now at a deal. But he did say "new".

Commercial equipment under 200 hours = new.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

GoldDot40

I have a homeowner grade Husqvarna 54" that I used to cut 2 acres with. You don't need a commercial mower if you are only using it for your own yard. Mine has been flawless going on 4 years old. Paid $3000 new at local mower shop/hardware store.

NOYDB

BANNED
You are leasing the property. Chances of moving how soon? How fast do you want to mow? Based on your budget you want a riding mower, do you want to bag the cuttings or mulch them? Get bids from a lawn service and compare prices over the expected life of your time there. Does this place have storage space? If so what would fit. Do you want to undertake maintenance, or will you have that done. Will it need to be trailered?

BeerThirty

Following. Recently bought a new house myself and upgraded to 2-acres of lawn to mow. Currently have an auto-drive push mower and was trying to guess how long it would take me... :rofl: Then I questioned if I should add "mowing the lawn" to my 9-yr old's chore list and enlighten him with that luxury.

So, debating between a zero-turn and a garden/riding tractor. Frankly, the yard is fairly wide open and flat. But I like the idea of the garden tractor since they're slightly cheaper and I can hook up a trailer for other yard work...

ssramage

You are leasing the property. Chances of moving how soon? How fast do you want to mow? Based on your budget you want a riding mower, do you want to bag the cuttings or mulch them? Get bids from a lawn service and compare prices over the expected life of your time there. Does this place have storage space? If so what would fit. Do you want to undertake maintenance, or will you have that done. Will it need to be trailered?

Good questions. We signed a 2 year lease, so it will be 2+ years, likely more before we move again. No need to bag clippings and speed isn't too much of a deciding factor for me. I'd rather make wider cuts than faster cuts... I have tons of storage space so not an issue, trailering not an issue either as I have a large trailer if needed for maintenance, etc...

rjcruiser

Good questions. We signed a 2 year lease, so it will be 2+ years, likely more before we move again. No need to bag clippings and speed isn't too much of a deciding factor for me. I'd rather make wider cuts than faster cuts... I have tons of storage space so not an issue, trailering not an issue either as I have a large trailer if needed for maintenance, etc...

Another option is a walk behind. You could get a 48"-54" walk behind. If it's in decent shape, you'll be able to sell it for the same or more than you bought it for. Hydro drive is much easier on you, but isn't essential...especially if it's pretty wide open and you won't be going into reverse much. Then, if you want to ride, get a wheel velke to hop on.

ssramage

Another option is a walk behind. You could get a 48"-54" walk behind. If it's in decent shape, you'll be able to sell it for the same or more than you bought it for. Hydro drive is much easier on you, but isn't essential...especially if it's pretty wide open and you won't be going into reverse much. Then, if you want to ride, get a wheel velke to hop on.

Hard to drink my beer if I'm walking...:bounce:

Duff

Scramage,

I have a 50" zero turn cub cadet. I've had it for 12 years and this past year was the first time I've had to work on it.(Clutch went out. I replaced it myself and cost me $150 for clutch/belt). I change the oil/filter every other year. I couldn't complain if it quit tomorrow.

I cut 2 acres and it takes me a little more than an hour, probably 1 1/2. I paid $3000 for it a Lowes but I see them at Tractor Supply for $2700 and that is with a Kohler motor.

Also, someone mentioned the Hustler residential type mower. Those also look like great machines with heavy made decks.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Zero turn is the hot ticket, but don't overlook a decent lawn tractor, we were right at the point of buying a Husler welded deck zero turn, (nice rig), but ended up getting the Husqvarna lawn tractor. Welded deck, big Kawasaki V-twin engine, LS rear diff, electric blade engagement, etc. The turn radius is quite good, and all the power you'll ever need. You'll have to go to a Husky dealer to get the welded deck version, usually can't find them at the big box stores. We could mow a little faster with the ZT, but not that much, plus when I mow at the church, our tractor goes through the low/wet spots and hills, no problem. The guys with ZTs have to pass. Wife cuts our 2 acres before I can get the weed eating done! :D

Example:
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/yt42dxls/960430220/

GA native

So I'll be the guy to recommend John Deere.

I have a ten year old John Deere LA125 with 500-something hours on it. Got it last summer. Starts easy and runs strong. They can be had on Craigslist for under $1k. New, they run about $1500.

REDMOND1858

Hustler would probably be your best mower for your money in that price range......they make good light commercial/residential mowers. Everyone I know with one is satisfied.

I bought a light commercial Dixie Chopper 2 years ago. Sold it that winter. That thing was an all around piece. Structurally weak and very cheaply built. Stay away from Briggs and Stratton, regardless of how good the salesman swears the “new improved” version is. Kawasaki, Kohler, Honda are the way to go. Hope this helps

georgia_home

one thing to consider when you are looking, if you have any contractor friends, they may be getting a discount at some of the home stores. ask around.

a coworker was building a place when we moved to our house and needed a riding mower. he had negotiated a deal with home depot for 10% off everything. the discount covered the tax and a little extra off. it worked out well.

go for the biggest engine and cut width you can find in your price range. invariably you'll miss a week and it'll be almost like bailing hay. the extra engine power will be helpful.

specialk

Zero turn is the hot ticket, but don't overlook a decent lawn tractor....

this....I got a 54'' john deere riding mower I picked up used a few years ago for 1500.00.....cuts like a dream and is fast too.....

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Any covenants or restrictions regarding the lawn you need to take into consideration?

Red dirt clod

9 year old John Deere LA145

Cut yard weekly during season, cut 2 acres once a month rough uneven terrain. I do not baby it at all, use it to mow down corn stalks and anything else in the way. Only problem so far is just replaced the non greasable idler pulleys. Very pleased with this mower. $2200 at Home Depot.

Bigtimber

A lot of fine commercial grade equipment. Scags, exmark, grasshoppers, ect. High end comes with high end price tag. Husler is probably the best buy for the money going right now. Welded deck is the way to go. Id avoid briggs motors.....go with a kohler, Kawasaki and I would definitely avoid the courage line of kohler engines.....worst engine kohler has ever made....absolutely disgraceful. Buying higher end used equipment it the way to go IF you know how to check it out or know someone who does. Completely different beasts than you will find at big box stores.
Whatever you choose....a lot of its long term trouble free use is going to depend of you. Keep it serviced, cleaned, stored and operating it the way its suppose to be operated....your hard on it....its will be hard on you in most cases. Hope this helps.

Latest posts