Bannerstone

csa1976

Pretty excited to be able to unite these two pieces. Found the largest piece about 7 yrs ago and the smaller one yesterday. I knew as soon as I put it in my hand that I had another piece just like it and I had to get home to find it. The feeling I had when the two fit perfectly together was unbelievable. I hope by some chance I can find the other half before the property sales but either way I’m proud of the find.
10F12A29-5AE3-4C37-AE6F-A088098D30F4.jpg

5D5DAE09-CDDD-468B-93DE-A26E7FB3618B.jpg

4E02191E-BE1B-4890-8A9D-EEC06B554C36.jpg

4B92B040-8BD4-4539-8065-1D7BABEA1DBC.jpg

F5008245-DCE6-4EE1-B285-978EC2781CA2.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's pretty lucky there.

csa1976

Yeah when I originally found the first piece I looked and looked for more of it to no avail. I finally gave up and figured I wouldn’t find anymore till yesterday. That second piece was about 35 yds from the first one.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I remember reading an article where the broken front half of a Clovis point was found in a mastodon or mammoth skeleton at an archeological dig up north somewhere. Years later, they were excavating a Clovis campsite several miles from the mammoth kill site, and found the basal half of the same point.

PappyHoel

Pretty cool but what was it used for?

csa1976

They were used on atlatls. Archeologists debate what exactly they were used for. From what I read on them and the studies that have been done I think it was for more of a counter balance then something that increased velocity. I don’t really know and I’m sure there is someone here that can enlighten us all on the subject but like all things research and ask questions.

dtala

pretty rare find, congrats.

I found two different ones on a small site near Moundville Al in the 80's, one of them engraved.