4th Annual Food Plot Prep Picture Thread

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Triple C, as usual, you're feeding your deer well!!!!! I'll be doing some weed wiping in the not too distant future and terminating the wheat.

Gut_Pile

Man Triple C, I can surely see a big gobbler strutting in that daylighted road.

Have you seen any bounce back in your turkey population?

Triple C

Canuck...I do my best to keep deer n plenty of other critters fed. :biggrin3:

Cause T.P. loved pics I'll throw one more in. Each year about green up time, I work my way back into the swamp to arrive at this secluded beaver pond which is just what I did this past Saturday morning. You can see the remnants of an old duck blind in the pic. I often wonder who built it and how much they must have enjoyed the time spent on the edge of this beaver pond.

Quite a few ducks were cruising around the pond as I slipped up near the blind and began lifting off the pond in pairs over the next few minutes. It was a cool sit.
IMG_5100.jpg

Canuck5

I can almost see those ducks taking flight, there!! :D Beautiful setting!

C.J.

Prepping some food plots. What have yall found is the best method to bust up dirt clods without buying a drag.

Old mattress springs? Chain fence? Gate? Chain?

Canuck5

Probably a cultipacker is best, but, alas ......

If you were to work up the ground, when it's not too wet, nor when it's too dry and then wait a 1/2 a day, to let the clods dry out just a bit, then spread your seed and go back over top with a ....... Old mattress springs? Chain fence? Gate? Chain ...... you'll see that the clods will break up pretty easy.

If you waited till they dry out and become hard, then it becomes hard to break up.

I know a feller who has some chain link fencing available ..... :D to make one like this:

Attachments

• Drag.JPG
    Drag.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 608

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
A 3 point tiller works also.
The secret, as Canuck5 stated is not to let the clods dry out before breaking them up.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Cause T.P. loved pictures...

Daylighted an interior rd and planted in wheat and white clover. Come late April wheat will be terminated and should have a nice stand of perennial clover that will last for several years.
View attachment 926724

View attachment 926725

Bout a 1/3 acre plot planted in perennial clover (durana n ladino) with wheat as a nurse crop.
View attachment 926726

View attachment 926727

Perimeter of largest plot, about 6 acres with the perimeter planted in durana and ladino clover with wheat as a nurse crop.
View attachment 926728

Lastly...pic of rotting turnips planted in the interior of largest plot last fall. Think I'm done with brassicas after planting them for 5 or 6 years. Deer do eat the tops, nibble on the bulbs, but have come to the conclusion that I get more bang for the buck with oats, wheat n rye grains.
View attachment 926729

Miss Ol' T.P.

TP can still read and look at pics. He just can’t post now.

Last edited:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Prepping some food plots. What have yall found is the best method to bust up dirt clods without buying a drag.

Old mattress springs? Chain fence? Gate? Chain?

Look for some old chain link fence.Nail a 4 x 4 or larger to the front add a tow line and your good to go.
My FIL used an BIG tractor tire and a chain until he made one.

deerbuster

Going to be prepping plots this week for spring/summer plots. Turning under some oats, to prepare seed bed for ICPs.

Pw00132

We planted clover and chicory 2 weeks ago. They are coming up good. It’s really thick where I spilt the bag. I used plotspike from tractor supply.

robo1211

I have a few 'pichers.' First plot is turned and seeded on my newly purchased piece of property.

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 465
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 464
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 467

Canuck5

One, 23 pounder, flew over the cuckoo's nest and landed in front of Ken this weekend ...... into a food plot, and Ken brought him home.

Attachments

• Ken's turkey.JPG
    Ken's turkey.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 401

Canuck5

And some food plot pics .... time for the weed wiper and release the clover. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• Food plot4.jpg
    Food plot4.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 392
  • Food plot.3jpg.jpg
    Food plot.3jpg.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 392
  • Food plot2.jpg
    Food plot2.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 395
  • food plot1.jpg
    food plot1.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Food plot.jpg
    Food plot.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 393

Canuck5

A few more

Attachments

• Food plot5.jpg
    Food plot5.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 386
  • Food plot6.jpg
    Food plot6.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 390
  • Food plot7.jpg
    Food plot7.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 389
  • Food plot8.jpg
    Food plot8.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 379
  • Food plot9.jpg
    Food plot9.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 386

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I know you like your weed wiper Canuck. Will it kill all that grass in the clover?

Canuck5

Grass is very easy to kill with glyphosate! As long as a little of the 50/50 mix touches the grass, it will kill it. If some of the glyphosate touches the clover, it will set it back a little, but it will come back.

The trick is just getting the height adjusted on it. If you let the grass get a little taller, on your plot, it will be easier.