How to catch Shrimp for personal use?

RUTMAGIC

What method do you suggest I use to catch shrimp for my self?
Please now I'm serious, I know the jokes are commimg.:bounce:

deedly

throw net.. as big as you can throw, but check regs for mesh size and diameter

SeaNile

Good advice from "deedly" I might add the following: casting a net takes a bit of practice. Learn to do it in the back yard before trying from the boat. There are some very good instructional videos on the net. There is also 1,000 ways to cast a net and every time I go casting
I see someone doing something unique that works well. Stay away from the shell beds unless you have the $s to buy another.
Good Luck and have fun.

larpyn

What method do you suggest I use to catch shrimp for my self?
Please now I'm serious, I know the jokes are commimg.:bounce:

use a cast net.
if you will be in deeper water (over about 20 ft) you will want to run a layer of duct tape or stitch law chair webbing around the bottom edge of the net. that will make the net drift down like a parachute in deep water.
good luck

robertyb

I am pretty sure they changed the law this year to allow netting to be used. Wasn't there an article in GON about the law change?

SeaNile

Tapping a cast net is now legal in Georgia. You can buy them tapped and they work really well.

tp1212

watch out for dog pooh in the yard when you practice.. it would leave a bad taste in your mouth

MudDucker

Staff member
They changed the law. I lobbied against that stupid change in the law. Our former state senator who now serves on the DNR came up to me in a restaurant last year and informed me of the change.

BoxCallWillie

Certain times of the year they Run in groves.
we hang a lantern out over the water and in season when running we dip them with a long handeld shrimp net.
If you catch them when there realy running (term used for
swimming) you can get a 5 gallon bucket full in no time .

Cast netting is going to get you in some problems
that you'd wish you never even tried ...
The run im speaking of about is just before they gather to mate . and it useuly on a full moon different times of the year . Best to have a boat for this . It can be done from a pier but you will not get as many .

Tulip

6' or 8' cast net with 1/2" mesh. Takes some practice to throw an 8' net. Aug, Sept and Oct are best times to get shrimp. In the winter they go deep but are much bigger than in the fall. Went to Shellman Bluff several years ago and was catching HUGE redleg shrimp in 45 to 50' of water. Water was so deep almost ran out of line before hitting bottom. In the fall you can catch em in 12-20' deep. Like someone said need tape or webbing when you go much deeper than 20'. Find a ledge or hole near a creek or in a creek. The shrimp will be in the grass on high tide and as tide comes out they congregate in these holes or ledges. If you are going to throw an 8' net get you some good raingear cause you are going to get wet.

larpyn

They changed the law. I lobbied against that stupid change in the law. Our former state senator who now serves on the DNR came up to me in a restaurant last year and informed me of the change.

just curious. were you arguing "for" or "against" the use of tape and webbing?
i like using the webbing myself.

MudDucker

Staff member
just curious. were you arguing "for" or "against" the use of tape and webbing?
i like using the webbing myself.

For it. Where I shrimped, the best shrimp were found in 20-30 foot of water and without tape, it was useless.

My daughter used to love to go and would laugh and giggle at what we pulled up. Real quality time with her. When they changed the law, she was real sad and wanted to know why we couldn't go swimpin. I got all over my representatives and I am to this day not a fan of the DNR and they know it!!!! My daughter is now too old to want to go swimpin. Really sad and stupid move by DNR. There time would have been better spent enforcing the then current limits against local and out of town commercial shrimpers who were making a dozen daily "limit" trips per day with cast nets.

MudDucker

Staff member
6' or 8' cast net with 1/2" mesh. Takes some practice to throw an 8' net. Aug, Sept and Oct are best times to get shrimp. In the winter they go deep but are much bigger than in the fall. Went to Shellman Bluff several years ago and was catching HUGE redleg shrimp in 45 to 50' of water. Water was so deep almost ran out of line before hitting bottom. In the fall you can catch em in 12-20' deep. Like someone said need tape or webbing when you go much deeper than 20'. Find a ledge or hole near a creek or in a creek. The shrimp will be in the grass on high tide and as tide comes out they congregate in these holes or ledges. If you are going to throw an 8' net get you some good raingear cause you are going to get wet.

True this...used to throw a 12 footer and man, that was like work. Another piece of advise, use a boat with a slick fiberglass bow platform that is easy to wash. A deck boat with carpet is real comfortable to ride around in, but it is a mess to clean the mud out of :bounce:

irishleprechaun

in SC you could buy a baiting permit (not sure if you can in GA). You affix the paper tag (limit of 10) on a 10' piece of 1" pvc. Put a wrap of reflective tape around it (so you can see it at night). Then I would take clay, water and ground fish meal (dried ground fish you can get at places like goldkist)put them all into one of those big plastic buckets with the rope handles. Make them into round balls, you could also tie them in panty hose so they stay together longer. place the bait balls near your poles then cast net until limit is reached. Back when I was doing it (15 years ago) the limit was one 48 quart cooler of shrimp per day. I used to eat shrimp every day of the year (nearly). Sure do miss that...

would shrimp in near the grass in the mud flats on an incoming tide up through high tide and about 1 hour after (if hadn't already limited). The shrimp would come into the grass from the deeper water to feed.

RUTMAGIC

All great advise guys, I live nearer to Florida, 35 minutes from gulf, are the net or scoop laws the same or completely different?