Massey Ferguson advice

ribber

been on the look out for a used 40ish hp tractor and have narrowed the field to a ford or MF. supposed to go look at a massey 135 diesel next week. was told about it by a guy who knows the seller so didn't get many details but he said it was real clean. not sure on year, probably late 60's. are there any red flags i should look for on this tractor? how many hours would be considered high? i know a MF 135 is a good tractor just wandering what to look for.

7 point

the 135 diesel has the same engine as my ford superdexta look at the block behind the fuel pump I have seen A lot of them crack there.

1gr8bldr

Great tractor. I to have a Super Dexta. Pound for pound, most power I know of. 7PT is right, check for the crack. Real clean is good [so you can look for the crack]

Rackbuster

They are bout the toughest tractor you can get. You will want power steering but can get by without just be careful turning in sand as it will snatch wheel out of your hand and work on your wrist (I know from years of expierence on them without power steering.). Be sure to check the lift as that is main thing that will go bad but it is not too expensive to replace the pump.My father in law had to have 1 put in his not long ago. Be sure to use the anti foaming hydraulic oil as the other gets hot the lift doesn't want to work. It is because the oil is foaming up when it gets hot.I bought 1 that was doing that and a fellow told me to change the oil. I did and the lift worked like it was suppose to work.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
resell value ain't near that of a Ford 3000, at least in NE Georgia. Ford sells quicker and for more money. If you think you might get something different in a few years, the Ford will bring you back more of your money.

Pappy

triton

I have just got a Massey Ferguson 165 High Crop going.I got it from the great grandson of the man who owned it. It set for 7 years.It seems to be good now I have piddled around with it for about a year and a half.Doing a little here and there.I just bushogged a 20 acre field that had grown up bad.Good luck with the 135

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
MF 135 is a great tractor in the size you are looking for. I have one that was my Dads that I have worked since I was 17 years old. It is a 1971 diesel. The serial number will tell you the yr model. if it is in good sharp and you are getting it for less than $5000 it is a good deal..... I would be surprised if the hour meter still works

1gr8bldr

My Super Dex has the same motor and it was mid 40 hP factory. After my rebuild, I think they claim it to be 46HP. For the size of this tractor, that's alot of grunt. You would be very happy with the MF 135. Not to big to safely haul up and down the road

ribber

well, someone else beat me to it. that's the way it goes. guess i'll keep looking on craiglist. called about one and it was already sold. 8 of us lease some land from a guy and he has a ford 4000 with a bush hog that he leaves down there under a shed. he asked me if we would keep the field cut around the pond and we could use his tractor for that and whatever else we chose to use it for and it's really convenient being we dont have to haul tractors to the club and we've used it for food plots and dove field. BUT, the ford has issues. the lift needs rebuilding, starter doesn't work,it smokes, 2 bad tires, and we put a PTO seal in it last year(posted about that, a real headache) and it's leaking again. the bush hog has also seen better days. So, me and another guy were gonna buy another tractor a little more dependable to leave there. i already spent $300 on someone elses tractor and have decided to cut my losses. not in a real big hurry so i'll keep looking.

7 point

My Super Dex has the same motor and it was mid 40 hP factory. After my rebuild, I think they claim it to be 46HP. For the size of this tractor, that's alot of grunt. You would be very happy with the MF 135. Not to big to safely haul up and down the road

got any pix of your dexta