Blue Lupine?

fountain

i know my uncle has it on his place in alamo, but i have never seen it. i am like you--want more info--protein content and fiber.

mathewsdxt

Banned
Blue Lupine is a GREAT cool season legume. There are different varieties and you need to make sure you get the forage variety. Any will work but the forage variety that blooms purple is the best. This plant can provide 13 - 18 % protein with a fairly good digestibility rating.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I planted some this year...It was labeled "Deer Ice Cream".....we'll see...

hunter_58

it is high on their list, but some varieties are not palatable for deer.
lot of turkey mixes have it in them.

see this post (what winter mixes do you use?
LittleBigDoe12) just a few spaces below this one, he's planted them

LittleBigDoe12

Like hunter 58 said, some arent palatable to deer but the sweet blue lupine variets is like planting iorn clay peas in winter as far as attractivness goes. but make sure to plant with something like oats or wheat as a cover crop to protect frome early over grazing.

oochee hunter

reccomended rate is 50 lbs sweet blue lupine, get it at cooperseed, and 50 lbs of naked oats per acre. good land builder and cover crop.

hunter_58

lupine is about 50$ per 50lb bag

fountain

just got some today in soperton and it was a little less than $30/bag or you can get it for $1.25/lb.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
What I planted is about 2" tall and deer tracks are all in it...

shakey gizzard

Here ya go!

Attachments

• images[2].jpg
    images[2].jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,063
  • original[1].jpg
    original[1].jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,445

Lilly001

I tried 10 lbs of it in a sunny creek bottom plot that stays moist. It's mixed with peas and oats. I am very interested to see how it does.

SakoL61R

I tried 10 lbs of it in a sunny creek bottom plot that stays moist. It's mixed with peas and oats. I am very interested to see how it does.

If the deer on your place are like the deer on my place they won't let it get much higher than this.:D

Attachments

• BlueLupineM.jpg
    BlueLupineM.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 1,018

Millyville Hunter

When I planted it a few years ago the deer destroyed it in no time. Seems to have the same downfall of planting soybeans,if the plot is not big enough it will take an electric fence to keep them at nay until it gets to browsing point