Mile High Campground

3ringer

Here is a photo of the view from mile high cg.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 606

OwlRNothing

The chances of you getting caught with it are slim, unless you need to use it. That said, I don't think you want to face Cherokee Tribal courts.

All THAT said, I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. :)

I like Smokemont, but it can be packed on weekends in summer. To get away from the "crowds" there, all you have to do is pick one of the sites near the front. #1 and #2 are nice sites, but if you get the ones on the other side, ( the exit) and like to sleep in, you'll get the car noise from people heading out in the a.m. - There's a good, quiet(er) campground near Bryson City. Can't remember the name of it. Has two small ponds on it too with a few bass in 'em. Nice lady runs it from her house which is on the property. Google Bryson City Campground" - but it's not high in elevation. Just thought I'd mention it b/c it's smaller and quieter than the big ones.

3ringer

Very nice. How were the temps?

I haven't visited there yet. That is not my photo. I just lifted it so people could see the view. This weekend would be a great weekend to go with the lower temps and humidity.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I live just a few miles away and a couple thousand feet lower than that campground. We had a couple nights at my house in the 40s last week.

Bob Shaw

I checked-out Mile-high while in the area, and it looked pretty neat and RUSTIC. One of the things that impressed me was the Do Not Feed the Bears sign. I kinda liked the campground at Cataloochie Valley, but, the road in there is really hairy, especially pulling a trailer. I met some campers that had a spotter driving out in front to head off problems in some of the tight areas and blind curves. I've got a 40' 5th wheel and no way would I attempt it. I stayed in Maggie Valley at Wingrey Campground, a lot of us older folks there and I never saw or heard any screaming kids. Easy access from there to Cataloochie Valley and Blue Ridge Parkway. Good outfitter store in Waynesville.

Early Riser1

We stayed at MH about 1998 in a pop-up. Enjoyed the view. The bath house had no power. Had to take a light to shower after dark.

one hogman

Black Rock Mtn State Park is about 3600 feet ASL it is a cool place in the summer, just above Clayton, lots closer that the other. our favorite campsite in the hot summer.:cool: