Question for the hikers

My question for you is about footwear. What do you use for a hiking boot or what would you recommend? I recently moved to Colorado and was able to hunt this past archery season. The boots I was wearing was a good pair of Danners, but they were not built to go up and down the terrain all day and be comfortable. I am looking to get a pair of good boots that are leather for the durability. I am wanting something that could be used in warm to cool weather. I not going to need them for cold weather. I do want something that is going to give me good support for carrying a pack with a little load. I have been trying on a lot of shoes at different stores around here. One thing that I have noticed on my feet is when I do an incline test with boots I get the same discomfort when I was wearing my Danners. I get pressure on the back of my heel( the boots always seem like they fit properly and I still get the pressure). I was wondering if any of you have experienced this? If you have, what would you recommend as a remedy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

I hike in Pine Mountain a couple times a year and just did a backpacking trip on new years and I always wear a pair of Justin Hiking shoes. They are made by JustinBoots and I actually bought them at JCPenny. They have been great now for three years. Very comfortable and would highly recommend. Even did great in 20 degrees this past week when I was camping and hiking. I searched online but could not find the kind I have but you could check into Justin shoes maybe...just my two cents thrown out there...good luck finding some that meet your needs.

zekekb

I have a pair of Merrells. I try to prevent heel blisters by putting on liner socks first, then wool socks over that. I also keep my heels covered in mole skin. I would suggest that you go to REI and try on different pairs of boots. Merrells are good, and Aslo's are better. The important thing about going to REI is that the people there know how to fit your foot into a good boot. They know how important it is to have a perfect pair of boots. They are knowledgeable and they have a great return policy. You should also remember that you get what you pay for in boots.

allenww

For hiking, a knowledgeable salesman is more important than the brand.

Go someplace where there are a lot of boots sold - I use REI - and make sure any boot you buy has replaceable insoles - I buy Vasque - and get fitted by the salesperson who has been there longest - preferably one they have to "call in from the back".

The brand to buy really does depend on your foot, and how high your arch is, etc.. If I am just going fishing, or strolling around on a Saturday, I buy from Cabelas.

If I am going to carry a 50lb pack for successive 10 mile or better days, I find a knowledgeable salesperson.

wa

Thank you for the quick replies. Last night before I started the thread I went to REI and tried on several different pairs. It always seems like when I go somewhere it is just a young adult working that is not the best to talk to. I brought up making sure about the right fit with the lady last night and she didn't offer any type of fitting. They also didn't have a whole lot of selection in my size. I was only able to try on the Asolo Fugitive GTX and the Vasque Summit GTX. Keep it coming. I would like to hear what all you have tried and use. What your likes and dislikes are.

guitarzan

Thank you for the quick replies. Last night before I started the thread I went to REI and tried on several different pairs. It always seems like when I go somewhere it is just a young adult working that is not the best to talk to. I brought up making sure about the right fit with the lady last night and she didn't offer any type of fitting. They also didn't have a whole lot of selection in my size. I was only able to try on the Asolo Fugitive GTX and the Vasque Summit GTX. Keep it coming. I would like to hear what all you have tried and use. What your likes and dislikes are.

That is not the standard of service at REI. I used to work for them and train their people in the Atlanta market in footwear. You need ask for a manager and complain. If nothing else, fill out a feedback form and complain on it. Lots of time, they send you a gift card to make up for poor service.

The store off of I-85 near Clairmont has the largest selection with the one near Perimeter next, Buford and Kennesaw are small stores with limited selection.

Call and ask when the next person who has had the "Phil Oren" training will be in and make an appointment. If you go to the Buford store, ask when Kim will be in. She is the best footwear person in the Atlanta area.

This was not in an Atlanta area store. This is in Colorado. I have been to the North Atlanta store several times though. That is a good store.

B

breampole

hiking boots

a good go to boot is Montrail. If you were in Atl. I would suggest you drive up to Mountain Crossing which is a store above Blairsville on the AT where the AT crosses the highway that runs from Cleveland to Blairsville. Another very good leather boot is Scarpa. You may need to think about weight--Scarpa is a heavy boot. Many prefer the low tops because of weight. I have both Montrail and Scarpa and they provide great support. I prefer the Montrails because of weight. Your best bet is to stay away from the chain stores and go to an outfitter which you will find near the trails and beginning points for hiking. Ask around and I am sure someone there can direct you to a good outfitter. You will pay a little more, but you will find it staffed with knowledgeable enthusiasts who have lots of experience although they may be young.

rongohio

Gone but not forgotten.
I have a pair of Timberland's that I got from Dick's Sporting Goods two years ago (no REI's up here :cry:). I've put hundreds of miles on them, much of it bushwhacking in severe terrain. I've worn these on hikes of over 20 miles with a light pack and never had any problems with my feet while wearing them. Any other boot I've had has worn out in months. I bought them after doing research on the Internet. (They were the only "American-made" boot I could find near me. When I got to the store I found out they were made in Vietnam. :eek:) But even so, I think they're great. Haven't experienced your heel problems, but I have a narrow heel myself that can cause problems with some boots. I wear two pairs of socks for the long hikes and cut my toenails to the quick for the steep downhills. Only problem with these boots, I may have to change my forum signature...

Last edited:
After trying on several pairs at the local sports store(a place called Jax), I decided to go with the Asolo TPS 520. They felt comfortable and sturdy. I liked that they were all leather too. The store I got them at allows for a little trial period. So I am just wearing them around the house to make sure that I like them. I appreciate all the responses

greene_dawg

Different shoes/boots fit differently depending on the person. If I was in Colorado I'd more than likely go with a boot. I'd go to my local backpacking shop and talk to them. I'm personally a fan of Vasque and Merrell but that's me.

FX Jenkins

After trying on several pairs at the local sports store(a place called Jax), I decided to go with the Asolo TPS 520.

I second the Asolo TPS 520's, but get the GV Gore-tex lined version.. They are an investment but my 520's are now 7 years old. I hunt, hike, and play in these boots. They have carried me in and out of Cohutta dozens of times, Rich Mtn, Montana, and Colorado archery elk hunts, and numerous other mtns and forests...I couldn't begin to count how many miles I have on these boots and they never disappoint. I fully expect to get 10 years or more out of these. The lateral support, needed for side sloping is excellent, they've never leaked, they still breath good and I'm not even close to wearing the tread down, even though I occasionally wear them on paved surfaces, in fact, Its sleeting and snowing up here in northern VA right now and I wore them to work today. They are strong enough to support heavy extended backpacking yet light and comfortable enough to wear causally all day. btw, the little goretex label came off of mine years ago but thats the worst of the wear...

Attachments

• boots.jpg
    boots.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 313