Dauphin Island, Al.

05kodiak

Anyone ever camped at the Dauphin Island Campground? Heading there first of April. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks.

Skillet

I have not stayed at the campground but I have spent many nights inside Fort Gaines back when I was a Civil War reenactor. Enjoyed my time on the island and made alot of memories.

05kodiak

I have not stayed at the campground but I have spent many nights inside Fort Gaines back when I was a Civil War reenactor. Enjoyed my time on the island and made alot of memories.

Thanks. I plan to tour the fort, marine research center and bird sanctuary while there. Maybe a good restaurant or two also!

jfinch

It has been at least 25 years since I stayed at the camp ground there. I remember we had a good time though. Family and I did take the ferry over from Fort Morgan when we were down in October. There looks to be pretty good fishing along the Jetty's on the east end of the island below the fort. The big pier however is now on dry ground and is used as a board walk to get to the beach. Beaches on the west end of the island looked nice. I think it is a pretty fair walk from the campground to the beach. Fort Gaines is a very interesting tour. The Estuarium at the sea lab is also very interesting. The Common Loon is a good place to eat.

THREEJAYS

Me niether but have went deep sea fishing from there.Caught alot too.

sparky

Di

I camped there last fall,noisy,the work boats and pilot boats go out early,bathrooms were so so,skeeters out late in the evenings,some good steamed shrimp,private beach just a short walk out the back of the campground,I'd go back.