how much does it cost....

squirrelhunter912

to put four wheel drive on a Ford F-150 xlt? I know it costs a lot i just need a number

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You might want to consider just buyin` a truck that already has four wheel drive.

wilber85

Yeah its not worth it. Just buy a new truck thats already got it.

One thing you can look into is lockers. They will lock the rear wheels so they dont spin independently. They will get you out of a lot of situations that 4x4 will. I am in the same boat and I am trying to figure out whether or not I should just get a new truck or not...

squirrelhunter912

Yeah its not worth it. Just buy a new truck thats already got it.

One thing you can look into is lockers. They will lock the rear wheels so they dont spin independently. They will get you out of a lot of situations that 4x4 will. I am in the same boat and I am trying to figure out whether or not I should just get a new truck or not...

thanks how much would that cost?

wilber85

Around $500 for parts I believe. Read up on the subject before making a purchase. There are a lot of different types.

McBeeVee

No one will able to give you a number unless they know
-what year your truck is?
-whether you will be able to do some or all of the work yourself?
-what you expect of the final product(daily driver or woods truck,etc)?
-whether you want to use new, rebuilt or junkyard parts?

And then you'll be lucky to get a useful number. It's just not that simple.
If I had a '70s or 80's-early '90s F150 then I might consider it, knowing that I can do a lot of the work myself.

If the truck is your daily driver and you want it to be both dependable and safe, then expect to spend a lot for anything from the mid '90s up.

Are you wanting leaf springs?
coil springs? coilovers?
A dana44 front axle? dana60? custom axle?

That doesn't even get into transfercases or a possible transmission swap or adapters or a divorced setup.

daisy102998

I had excellent results with a limited spin back end. I can go anywhere in it I can my chevy 4-wheel drive. My 4 wheel drive does not have limited spin, so if you get the drive wheels off the ground you are stuck.

takamineman

I started trying to price this same job out on a s-10 a few years back i quit when i got to 2k. When getting parts it's alot more money than if you bought a truck with it already on it.

cb1967

4x4

theres a place in hinesville called coastal auto parts. you take the parts off yourself. the parts are rediculously cheap. if you have to hire labor, hold on to your pocket book.

If you really love your truck that you have now, then buy a wrecked ( unbent frame) or blown motor and swap bodies and motor.
Changing a 2 wheel drive to a 4 wheel drive just ain't worth the time or money.