Great Time At Low Gap

3ringer

We went up to Low Gap a couple of weekends ago. We went up on Friday morning and found a great camp site on top of the mountain. Bear season was in but we were not hunting this time. We set up camp and got a fire going.
Now it was time to sit by the fire with some beer and peanuts. Man it was great up there, the weather was perfect. It seems like everything taste better when camping out. About an hour before dark, we heard some pigs squealing and running down the hill.

We walked down the road and talked to some hunters. They told us to be sure to lock our food up because a young bear was hitting all the camp sites in the area. They had shot two pigs but had not seen any bears except the one in their camp eating their butter and milk. Also the bear left a nice little pile in the middle of their campsite.

We cooked steaks on the grill and baked potatoes in the coals of our fire. I believe that meal was better than Ruth Chris. We sat by the fire listening to coyote's in the distance. We turned in for the night. I didn't sleep good because I was waiting for the bear. He didn't show up all night. The next morning we perked coffee and made bacon, eggs and hashbrowns.

That afternoon we went to Helen and watched the Georgia game at a local pub by the river. Wow , that was a good party. After the game, we went and bought some more firewood. It was supposed to turn cold tonight. We put on a pot of chili. We sat by the fire and had chili and beer. I thought I was in a 5 star restaurant. It just dont get any better.

That night it got cold. I hooked up my little buddy heater to a propane tank. We had the heater on low all night . We stayed toasty all night until daybreak. We gave out of propane. We had no propane to cook with. We had plenty of charcoal. We place charcoal on the top grilling grate of the grill. I placed the cooking pan on top of the charcoal and cooked bacon, eggs and hashbrowns.

The best thing was taking a honeybun and placing it in foil and laying it on the coals. That went down real good with some coffee.

It started to sprinkle some after breakfast. We packed up camp and headed down the mountain. We had a great time.

Last edited:

3ringer

Here are a couple photo's.

Attachments

• low gap 1.jpg
    low gap 1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 631
  • low gap2.jpg
    low gap2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 633

greg_n_clayton

Sounds like we may need to get together and do a few hunts, and let me show ya or tell ya about a few spots !! I like huntin (this time of year), eattin' and settin around a fire !! If you like 'em remote that is !! I don't like traffic (passer byers) !!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Now that sounds like you had a great time. Love tent camping.

Hawg Daddy

Is that one of the new 1 minute set up tent ? If so how do you like it ? Nothing like mountain camping in the winter.

3ringer

So far, I like it. I have only used it twice. It goes up really fast. I have not used it in bad weather yet. I did spray it with a waterproofing silicon. If I camped in bad weather, I would throw a small tarp over it for extra protection .