My last legal question for the day...

GeauxLSU

.... since it seems to be the theme today.
Had a guy at a ramp show me some pics of some NICE bass he had caught at a state park. Said he used bream he caught in the lake as bait. Is that legal? I thought you could not use "a game fish as bait for game fish"? Maybe bream aren't considered game fish? ::huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Dog Hunter

GeauxLSU said:
.... since it seems to be the theme today.
Had a guy at a ramp show me some pics of some NICE bass he had caught at a state park. Said he used bream he caught in the lake as bait. Is that legal? I thought you could not use "a game fish as bait for game fish"? Maybe bream aren't considered game fish? ::huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil
Maybe the bass got on before he got the bream to the boat. :bounce: :banginghe

Randall

You have to catch them with hook and line first.

I do this sometimes for trophy bass.Its legal if you catch the gamefish with hook and line to use for bait.

GeauxLSU

Randall said:
I do this sometimes for trophy bass.Its legal if you catch the gamefish with hook and line to use for bait.
Really? Hmm, so cast net and trap are illegal? I 'guess' that makes sense....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Randall is correct and I will add that you still have to observe the creel limits and length limits if game fish are to be used as bait.

Many do not realize you can use trout for bait as long as you catch them legally, have a trout stamp, and stay within the limits.

mpowell

i've been catching decent bream and using them for bait for years.

if i'm in a farm pond, i'll use my microrod with some crickets on a bobber to catch some bream. then, i'll hook them up and blow up a small balloon and tie it to the line about three/four feet above the bream. toss him out and let nature do the trick! while he's swimming i'll continue using my other rod and tackle and keep an eye out for a disappearing balloon!

GeauxLSU

mpowell said:

if i'm in a farm pond, i'll use my microrod with some crickets on a bobber to catch some bream. then, i'll hook them up and blow up a small balloon and tie it to the line about three/four feet above the bream. toss him out and let nature do the trick! while he's swimming i'll continue using my other rod and tackle and keep an eye out for a disappearing balloon!
MP,
Is it another big bait = big fish thing? How big a bream are you successful with?
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

broadhead

ooooooo! ooooo! ooooooo!

Lets start an artifical lure vs. live bait debate!
I'll start.
Fishing for big bass with live bait just isn't ethical!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :whip:

sweatequity

bream

I have used bream 2-3 inches on a float and have had great success. I catch the bream off the bank with a egg hook. Its is truly awesome to see the bream come to the surface to escape and then watch a bass explode on it

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Not to mention, some huge stripers are caught out of Lanier using live bream!

Match the hatch with a bream! :clap:
Bream, the natural bait! :bounce:
Bream, the opportunist bait! :fine:

Gage

GeauxLSU

broadhead said:
ooooooo! ooooo! ooooooo!

Lets start an artifical lure vs. live bait debate!
I'll start.
Fishing for big bass with live bait just isn't ethical!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :whip:
Wrong. "Tradition" says that live baits were first and therefore ethical. Artificials are CLEARLY 'cheating'! :whip: :D
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Dog Hunter

mpowell said:

Have never thought about a balloon. Have always used jugs

Randall

Give me one reason that it is not ethical?

Choose your reasons wisely as I will shoot them down one at a time.

Randall

Broadhead, I was just going to use the opportunity to educate .

I have had many people tell me that more fish die from from live bait fishing. If it is done properly that is just not the case. I have seen more fish die from other forms of fishing. A good example would be deep hooked plastic worm fish. You have a nice weekend also.

littlewolf

Many do not realize you can use trout for bait as long as you catch them legally said:
I thought you could buy trout for bait..seem to remember it was on the menu at some of the Lanier baitshops last year..But I do remember somebody telling me to keep your receipt in case the warden stopped you cause they were out of season (or a dozen was over the limit?)...

So is it illegal both ways or what?

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
LW, if you buy trout for bait be sure to keep your receipt especially if you have more than 8 trout per person or you don't have a trout stamp.

It's easier to just buy trout than to say go to the hooch, catch your limit, keep them alive, and then go use them for bait on Lanier. Not saying I would try it with all the trouble you would have to go through, but it is legal.