Box stand quesrion

Trophy buck

What's better to secure the legs to my box stand, the brackets or lag bolts. This is my first time building one.

transfixer

I used the brackets for the first time a few years ago, prior to that I used lag bolts, or bolt and nut,, but I like the brackets, much easier and I feel like it is much more secure and stable.

grif

Brackets cost too much. Lag screws or plain old 3" wood screws will work fine (assuming the floor joists are made from 2x4 or 2x6). There's not going to be much stress on the fastener.

transfixer

I would still use screws on box stand that aren't more than 6ft to the floor from the ground, but when you're talking about 12 or 14 ft legs on a box stand, I'll spend the money for the brackets, some can be bought for around $75 a set. The last stand I built was 4x6, 12ft off the ground, with a roof and 7ft of headroom, so in total its 19ft tall, its sturdy as a rock, don't think it would be that way without the brackets.

nmurph

I would still use screws on box stand that aren't more than 6ft to the floor from the ground, but when you're talking about 12 or 14 ft legs on a box stand, I'll spend the money for the brackets, some can be bought for around $75 a set. The last stand I built was 4x6, 12ft off the ground, with a roof and 7ft of headroom, so in total its 19ft tall, its sturdy as a rock, don't think it would be that way without the brackets.

I built one about that same size 15 years ago, long before the bracket kits became popular. I used carriage bolts and screws...it's solid as a rock all these years later.

Buford_Dawg

Lag bolts/Screws

Can someone advise me how to get the leg angles correct using lag bolts/screws. I have several ground boxes I want to lift about 6 foot but didn't want to invest in the brackets since it not very high off ground. What is best way to mount the 4 legs with the lag bolts or heavy screws to get angles so the bottom of the legs are spread out to keep the stand properly balanced and not fall over.

transfixer

Can someone advise me how to get the leg angles correct using lag bolts/screws. I have several ground boxes I want to lift about 6 foot but didn't want to invest in the brackets since it not very high off ground. What is best way to mount the 4 legs with the lag bolts or heavy screws to get angles so the bottom of the legs are spread out to keep the stand properly balanced and not fall over.

The ones we had that were only 5 or 6 ft off the ground we just attached the legs straight up , but then about 3 ft off the ground we would attach a piece of 2x4 about 5 or 6 ft long, attach it at about a 45degree angle, to each leg, it would keep them blowing over, and I always had the ladder at an angle on the side we climbed in on, so that helped stabilize that side, then just throw brush all around the bottom of the stand to cover up the legs.

misterpink

$100 for the brackets is money well spent to me. Piece of mind is worth the money, plus it saves time. Im not a carpenter. I don't know all of the tricks so I just buy the good stuff.

Rich M

If you are gonna bolt it use real bolts with nuts and washers - lag bolts will last a while but can work loose.

rocksaw

Buforddog if you pre cut your bottom 2xs you can just lay it out on the ground and figure out hiwbig to make it then when you put it up yo can just use a tape to keep it sqare

SlipperyHill Mo

Brackets are great and sturdy. Lags bolts or 3 1/2' wood/deck screws work also.

Attach legs to platform and cross brace them before standing platform up. Add sides and roofs after platform is erected.

I had two 12' tall 4x8 box stands with 12' long legs blow over and legs and platform are still intact. Sides and rood had a little damage.

j_seph

My dad used 16 penny nails, 2x4 bracing and we had probably 15 box stands 10 foot and 12 foot to floor. Some were 3 foot square some 4 foot square. Most of them are still standing I'd imagine as they were some that were 10 year old last time I was around and still sturdy and strong.

Gone Fishin

I usually build 6x4 or 7x4, so it is comfortable for 2 people. More comfort = longer, quieter sitting. I have never used elevators. Long screws and straps/brackets.

I do 2 things:
1) either put the legs of the stand on 8' long 4x4 on the ground (run them perpendicular to the leng0h of the stand). This lets me drag the stand to different places.

2) I run 8ft 2x4 cross members on the short sides and bury them into the ground ~12" or so.

If the stands are in the wide open, I also stake them to the ground.

TMeadows45

My stand is 14ft to the floor and rests on four 4x6 posts. I connected the posts to the main floor joists using four 8 inch I-bolts. I was then able to use the I-bolts from each corner of the stand to connect some heavy gauge wire to a heavy T-post at each corner on the ground. It is solid as a rock with 3 people in it.

Also, stand has been painted and had a few more things tuned up since this picture.

Attachments

• IMG_5037.jpg
    IMG_5037.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 223

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I've got several. Used decking screws, haven't had any issues.