Best kind of bike to buy...

Hey y'all...I am wanting to get a bike and start riding around the neighborhood with my son...be a chance for hanging with him and a chance to get some exercise...

Do any of you ride and what type of bike do you suggest? I was thinking something along the lines of an all terrain type bike...what speeds do they have now...3 5 10? I had a 10 Speed growing up and it was cool...but I am beyond wanting to be cool and prefer as simple as possible...

Thoughts?

Last edited:

crackerdave

Lots of folks sell their bikes in yard sales,usually CHEEP! My personal opinion is: keep it simple,unless you want to spend more time fixing it than riding it. I don't know if they still are,but Schwinn bikes used to be good - maybe made in China now,and not so good.:huh:

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
pf I have 4 bikes here at my house that are not used very much, they are great mountain bikes I will let them go at a very reasonable price if you are interested. I have 2 ladies and two mens bikes. all are the 12 or 14 speed I dont know 2 are my sisters and she is wanting to let them go. If you are interested give me a buzz.

Matt A

pf - it really depends on the kind of riding you plan to do. If you plan to stay on paved roads then you may want get a hybrid bike that is sort of a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike. It has wide handle bars and you sit more erect than a typical road bike. If you plan to get off road then maybe a mountain bike with front suspension is the way to go. It's easy to spend a lot on a bike so you may want to start with a used one to see if it's something you enjoy before you sink a lot of $$$. Good luck!

Rich Kaminski

I've got 3 bikes that belonged to my son's. They drive now and work out at the gym everyday for hours. Let me know if you want to buy one.

QuakerBoy

schwinns now go for about a hundred bucks at walmart---a pretty good bike for the money

good advice there...for casual riding with the family these are a pretty good deal. Also check out thelower end Diamondback bikes...they are pretty good also and not excessively expensive.

turtlebug

I'll tell you one thing, years ago when we still had a K-Mart, my son saw these awesome Honda Racing bicycles. One was a BMX and the other were like Mountain Bikes. They were around $350 to $400 and he pitched a fit for the BMX.

Well, wouldn't you know it, K-Mart was closing and I went back in and picked up that BMX for $80. I bet you he's put over a thousand miles on it and that sucker is still going strong. Probably about 5 years old now I think and the best $80 I've ever spent. The quality was that of the Mongoose from long ago when they were more exclusive. I wish I had bought the Mountain Bike for another $80 when I bought his.

I know our Toys-R-Us has great deals every week on bikes, like last one in stock and such. I'd go with a Mountain Bike style for sure with more rugged tires so you can take it off-road a bit too.

Not sure if they're still making those Honda Racing bikes or not, but man those things are built to last and do!

Good luck! :banana: