Open carry at Wal-mart

cowhornedspike

So, in a nut shell, have a valid permit, carry whenever and however you want other than in the courts and churches. If the property owner or anyone acting on his/ her behalf tells you to leave because of your fire arm, you leave or face criminal trespass.

Pretty much. I believe bars are opt-in also along with churches and the list is larger than just court houses...post office, jails, etc.

NOYDB

BANNED
Just don't show off or brag. Don't matter if you room with the Brady's.

I realize asking people today to keep their mouths shut is a major imposition. Go ahead pretend you matured beyond High School. Shock the bejeebers out of the rest of the world.

Good luck!

gunsaler111

Banned
The second amendment is well on its way out,and this thread is proof.....facepalm:

SkintRider

These types of discussions always leave me shocked and dismayed at how many people have no understanding at all about the constitution of this here country. 1st and 2nd Amendment does not apply in Wal-Mart.

Or if you or spouse work for walmart. :eek:

tv_racin_fan

I really don't understand open carrying???...

I don't want the bad guy to target me right off the get go. You don't know if somebody with ill intentions is going to come in shooting. But... The bad guy knows what he's going to do, and if he sees you brandishing your piece for the whole world to see, he might decide to shoot you first..

He might, then again he might see you and decide to go elsewhere or wait till you leave. THAT is exactly what happened a year or two ago in a Waffle House. Bad guys decided to scout the place out, spotted a couple good ole boys armed with 1911s and decided to wait em out, observant officer spotted em sittin in the car parked out back and decided to check em out.

Only been a couple times I can think of where an open carry guy got ganked first. One of them was known to carry in the area and was specifically targetted it because he carried, don't think it would have matted open or concealed carry since he let it be known. The other guy simply was not aware of his surroundings. I try to make eye contact with almost everyone I come across. Want them to know I know they are there.

Dub

I have always thought people that open carry are morons. Why on earth would you want to give a criminal the advantage of knowing you have a gun. That is how you get killed in a bad situation. Keep it concealed and it will give you the second or two that make a difference in those situations.

Agreed.

Dub

Target stores have announced a no fire arms policy as well.

I really hope they make this very clear with the criminals who are packing heat.:banginghe

No longer can a woman cc in Target, so she can be even more exposed to harm when she's returning to her car. Great policy, Target.

I've spent my last dollar with them.

cowhornedspike

No longer can a woman cc in Target, so she can be even more exposed to harm when she's returning to her car. Great policy, Target.

She can CC all she wants in Target as their "policy" carries no legal weight in GA unless they know she is packing and ask her to leave...which they should never know if she keeps it concealed.

Anyone who goes there and doesn't CC simply because Target says they shouldn't only has themselves to blame if they can't protect themselves when an incident happens.

I don't argue with not spending my money there though due to their attitude toward CC.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Can you please provide examples?

I think he's implying by the debate of this topic, that since the laws aren't completely understood by everyone, we are losing ground. I don't think he's entirely accurate, but we should be up to date on current laws.
Wouldn't hurt to be more involved in the political process either.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
mikey1297 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by js415

this is an incorrect statement, and if followed will get you in a lot of trouble.

A gwcl (georgia weapons carry license) is required for either concealed or open carry in the state of georgia.

There are very few exceptions to this.

If he was inside wal-mart, without his license, he was breaking the law.

He is very lucky he did not have an encounter with an officer.

Ocga 16-11-126 is one of the sections that explains where carry without a license is allowed.

Join gco and learn what we have done for georgia's carry rights in the last 6 years.

Jerry

++1

Posted from Gon.com App for Android

Oldstick

A rental situation is a contractual relationship between two consenting parties. The length of the contract is of no importance. It could be for 2 hrs at the no tell motel. The contract can call for no firearms or no cats or no broomsticks longer than 2 ft.

A violation would be a breach of the contract and a civil matter.

One caveat to that however, I am not a lawyer or expert, but I think it is possible to have a contract with clauses that can be thrown out in court due to violating other statutes. For example, I think if the landlord tried to dictate the tenant is responsible for routine maintenance, it would get tossed if it ever went to court, even if the tenant signed it.

Don't know, but would be interested to know about the enforceability of a "gun ban" clause for rental tenants.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Restricting weapons possession does not violate any other statutes. There is no statute that states that a person may posses a weapon on the property of another after receiving notice not to. Including certain routine maintenance in rental contracts is a standard practice.

StriperrHunterr

One caveat to that however, I am not a lawyer or expert, but I think it is possible to have a contract with clauses that can be thrown out in court due to violating other statutes. For example, I think if the landlord tried to dictate the tenant is responsible for routine maintenance, it would get tossed if it ever went to court, even if the tenant signed it.

Don't know, but would be interested to know about the enforceability of a "gun ban" clause for rental tenants.

I've seen judges uphold even irrational agreements made between two parties simply because the contract did exist. Not saying it's the norm, just that it's happened, even in the case of one person getting raked over the coals.

Parties can generally contract for anything that is not illegal or immoral (and I'm not sure about that anymore).

Leases, especially commercial ones, routinely have clauses making the tenant responsible for routine maintenance. A common one is making the tenant responsible for damages caused by clogged toilets, or damage from turning off the heat and letting the pipes freeze. Also, clauses requiring the tenant to keep up the grounds are common.

So yes, a tenant could agree not to have any guns as part of a lease, and a breach would be grounds for dispossession. The remedy for any of the above is not to sign leases (or contracts) that contain such clauses.

Oldstick

I guess I gave a poor example. I was thinking more along the lines of a landlord requiring the tenant to replace the appliances or AC unit failing due to normal usage. Or trying to grant the police permission to conduct searches at any time without a warrant or something like that.