Any 243 users in here?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My Lady has killed a pile of deer, 100+, with her old 243 in a Remington 788. She killed this 200 pound 10 point yesterday morning with it. She shoots Hornady 100 grain pointed boat tail soft points. All have been shoot throughs but one. The blood on the side of the buck pictured is the exit hole.

Attachments

• big10.jpg
    big10.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 335

mcfay

Bought a Remington Mohawk 600 in 243 when I was 10 years old from money I earned on the farm during the summer. That was 41 years ago and over 80 deer. Ive hunted with multiple calibers but I always seem to grab that Mohawk . If you shoot a 243 right it will do the job every time. I will add my next favorite is the 7mm08.

Workin2Hunt

Gone but not forgotten
I have an old tang safety M77 in .243 that I still hunt with. It's still one of my favorites.

Check The Outdoors Trader, there are usually some good deals to be found there.

GADawg08

I haven't shot a .243 since I killed my first deer back in 2000 (it was my buddy's gun) But, I bought my son a remington model 7 .243 yesterday....I may put it to use this weekend:D

ambush80

My Lady has killed a pile of deer, 100+, with her old 243 in a Remington 788. She killed this 200 pound 10 point yesterday morning with it. She shoots Hornady 100 grain pointed boat tail soft points. All have been shoot throughs but one. The blood on the side of the buck pictured is the exit hole.

Whoa!!!!

Nice deer!!!:cool::cool:

Tristan1687

I just posted about this the other day. Love my .243. I didnt grow up deer hunting. Shot my first deer at 26.
I was given my grandfathers old .270 and .243. The .270 had a junk scope and the .243 had a nice one. Figured I'd use that for hunting. Flash forward a four years, Ive shot 5 deer with it. 2 died on the spot, the other three ran less than 50 yards.

Like others have said, its a great, low recoil and inexpensive round. It'll drop deer all day. And like with all rounds, shot placement matters.

rosewood

I am going to recommend the 6.5 creedmoor. I like the 6.5 caliber (prefer the .260, but ammo is high and rare), but didn't realize how common the 6.5 creedmoor has become. The ammo is the same price range as the standard calibers, you can get basic ammo for $20 per box and you get more energy than a .243 and minimal recoil. I love the 7mm-08, but for some reason the ammo prices are artificially high.

Rosewood

1gr8bldr

Sitting in my den just now, I heard a shot coming from the land adjacent that some hunters have been given permission to hunt. it was like BOOOOOM. I first think to myself, really, does it take a rifle that big to kill a deer. Mercy, for those who can't shoot, shoot your big guns in hopes that if you miss vitals, you might still have a mile long blood trail. My son's youth model 243 has killed 40+ deer, almost all of which dropped dead in their tracks, never having lost one. He got this gun when he was about 8 years old. He's 6'2" now at 17 and has no interest in another rifle. Inside of 300, it's a given, however I would not hesitate at 400

Russ@R&R

That's the only caliber deer rifle I own. I got my first Winchester Model 100 semiauto carbine when I was 12 years old. (1972) It was a used gun, owned by a friend of my family that had killed many, many deer with it. I liked so much, that I bought a brand new and last Model 100 rifle version in 243 that Winchester made. Those two Model 100's are still the only deer rifles I own or need. As years went by, my friends kept getting larger and larger caliber rifles. I never saw and still don't see the need.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I've killed a pile of deer with my .243. Never lost a single one and most dropped on the spot. I did have a couple instances of little to no blood trails that was slightly challenging, but that was due to using a different bullet than I normally had. If you can find them, Winchester Power Max Bonded are a heck of a bullet.

Nannyman

If I may, how about an AR15 in 6.8SPC. Semi auto, gas operated, light recoil, adjustable stock. Easy to shoot, clean, and repair if ever needed. Also light weight.

Headshot17

Recommendations

Prefect choice. Wait until she shoots a crow at 300 yards. I have killed at least 50 deer with 80 & 85 grain bullets out to 300 yds. The lighter bullets like the 80 & 85 grain have very little recoil. If you reload use Sierra 85 grain Game King HPBTs which are extremely accurate and devastating on deer.

gt40

I have used the 85gr BTHP for years but I am now down to 3 bullets and my daughter wants to hunt this year. I see this bullet has been discontinued so my question is what’s the next best bullet to use??
Thanks for any input

bonecollector123

I use the winchester ballistic tip 95gr in my ruger and they shoot tight groups and I have dropped every deer I have shot in it's tracks. High shoulder or neck shot