GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > On Topic -- Questions and Answers

Old 05-05-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfella1962 View Post
okay - I watched a youtube video that shows how to test out every...single....electronic component on my exact dryer. Everything tests good! Heating element,

yet when I take the dryer vent off the back of the dryer, water and lint pours out.

and indeed my wife said it still takes hours to dry a single load. I checked the entire length of the venting all the way to the outside of the house, and it's not clogged - no lint at all.

My wife wants to get a new dryer, but "in theory" this dryer works! This dryer should be working fine, but it's not.
I just don't get it. But I can't have water mixing with electricity!
That sounds like what everyone already mentioned above. You have a clog internal to the dryer, probably around the lint filter. May have to pull the back off to get a coat hanger in there. You might find a couple missing socks as well.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldstick View Post
You have a clog internal to the dryer, probably around the lint filter. May have to pull the back off to get a coat hanger in there.
When a dryer I had started acting up I took it apart. All the way apart. The air path from the lint trap to the outlet had two 90` turns that collected lint and were a royal pain to clean out. To get to the turns I had to remove the back of the dryer. I used a coat hanger to probe around corners and break up lint clogs.

Not sure we are talking about the same symptoms.
Water pooling is going to seek the lowest level and would drain out the bottom and puddle on the floor. Wet lint is too heavy to be blown out the lint trap or down the vent tube.

Run the dryer with no clothes in it.

What happens?

Do a load of T-shirts, only move ONE to the dryer and run it.

What happens?

Also what make model is the dryer?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:50 PM

If there is wet lint falling out of the outlet from the dryer when disconnected from the vent pipe, and the vent pipe is proven to be clear, then something is definitely clogged inside the dryer preventing the lint (and the clothes) from getting dried. I'm fairly certain of that since it was already confirmed that the heating element is working fine.

Also from past experience with my own dryers exhibiting the same symptoms numerous times over the last 35 years. If the OP doesn't find a lint clog, and/or fabric sheet/socks, and/or quarters backed up inside his dryer, let me know. I will pay him $1.00 for the quarters he didn't find.

So what I am trying to say, is the very moist air from the clothes inside the dryer is trying to be vented as normal, but there is a clog. So that moisture gets blocked and trapped by the clog and so it condenses before it gets blown out the external vent pipe. The result is wet lint dripping from the back of the dryer. There were several posters already suggesting to run through a cycle with the vent pipe disconnected to make sure everything is exiting the dryer as normal. I am guessing that test will reveal there is a clog inside the dryer.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:02 PM

Sounds like 1. Either the vent line is too long and is allowing the damp air to cool before it exits the house. Or 2. The fan isn't working properly and allowing the same to happen. Or 3 The heating element isn't getting hot enough to start with.

Easiest way to check would be with a infrared thermometer. Check the temp during the cycle. (just open the door and mash the button) Then check the temp at the flapper.